Ended Official BYC Article Writing Contest #14

Pippin's easy guide to silkie sexing

Pippin's easy guide to silkie sexing

Hello there! When I hatched my own silkies, I studied and studied about how to sex them. I read that it was almost impossible to sex them, and that you had to wait for a crow or an egg. Raising and watching them helped me pick out certain traits that only belong to roosters or hens. These...

Hemp Bedding- Why is it the best?

Hemp Bedding- Why is it the best?

NOTE: I am not responsible for some information as it was gathered on different websites. This article is just a gathering of information to explain why hemp is a good bedding. Thank you One of the most heavily discussed topics is: What is the best bedding? We all have different opinions, so...

I’m an awful writer but still I’m giving the pics srry because there’s a issue posting my article here

266EC338-8EC3-4ABC-ADD1-4C6D76D630F7.jpeg

A94D6778-D554-466E-93AA-674FE1A0E707.jpeg

836C01E9-A2CF-48B3-B5C8-67AEE35E18DD.jpeg

6BBF9415-ED25-4BBF-81A8-4037325447C3.jpeg

It’s so horrible!🤣

I want to write an article about how I created my gray egg laying avatar "Greyslyn".

I am going to go back to 1999, when I first got chickens for my family. There were only 3. They were just lay pullets a lady from the feed store sold me. They laid. Brown eggs. At that point I was not chicken crazed. From there I had gotten local eggs and hatched them, in experimental incubators. Which became fun for me.

IMG_0907.JPG

One day I discovered gray feathered chickens, (Blue Andelusian) and then wanted gray feathered breeds. I became obsessed with owning fancy feathered birds, and it seems new birds that caught my eye appeared almost every day. Not long after discovering gray feathered birds, I bought eggs from a farmer that were gray shelled.

greyy.PNG

His eggs were not fertile though. But since I knew this was possible, I wanted to create my own gray eggs.

Our valley, I live in has a bulletin board that advertises free things, and one day a lady was giving away her whole flock. I was hoping she had blue feathered chickens and she said there were 2. I collected both. That is how I received "Sally" the mother of my avatar.
grada.PNG
2m.PNG

She was a pretty splash hen , and laid a lovely pink/purple egg...I breed her with a
frizzle rooster, "Silver", that had a dark green egg gene.
gradk.PNG

2n.PNG

Together they created Greyslyn, whom I named even before I knew she was a gray egg layer.
gadeo.PNG

Below is her egg..
2p.PNG

Since then she has been in newspapers, and I have even seen her picture on a Google page, if you look up "gray egg layers." She has had 2 look-alike daughters, and other chicks both frizzle and smooth. All that lay a dark gray egg. I currently have 2 of her daughters, one smooth and one frizzle, they are black in color, but I plan on breeding them with a gray feathered green egg gene, naked neck/ frizzle rooster I have. The daughters eggs have been in a recent Backyard Poultry magazine.
6a.PNG

As far as "Greyslyn", she is almost 10 years old, and living on girlfriend's farm and still laying fertile gray eggs.

I want to write an article about how I created my gray egg laying avatar "Greyslyn".

I am going to go back to 1999, when I first got chickens for my family. There were only 3. They were just lay pullets a lady from the feed store sold me. They laid. Brown eggs. At that point I was not chicken crazed. From there I had gotten local eggs and hatched them, in experimental incubators. Which became fun for me.

View attachment 2829871

One day I discovered gray feathered chickens, (Blue Andelusian) and then wanted gray feathered breeds. I became obsessed with owning fancy feathered birds, and it seems new birds that caught my eye appeared almost every day. Not long after discovering gray feathered birds, I bought eggs from a farmer that were gray shelled.

View attachment 2829880

His eggs were not fertile though. But since I knew this was possible, I wanted to create my own gray eggs.

Our valley, I live in has a bulletin board that advertises free things, and one day a lady was giving away her whole flock. I was hoping she had blue feathered chickens and she said there were 2. I collected both. That is how I received "Sally" the mother of my avatar.View attachment 2829886View attachment 2829889
She was a pretty splash hen , and laid a lovely pink/purple egg...I breed her with a
frizzle rooster, "Silver", that had a dark green egg gene.View attachment 2829892
View attachment 2829895
Together they created Greyslyn, whom I named even before I knew she was a gray egg layer.
View attachment 2829898
Below is her egg..
.View attachment 2829900
Since then she has been in newspapers, and I have even seen her picture on a Google page, if you look up "gray egg layers." She has had 2 look-alike daughters, and other chicks both frizzle and smooth. All that lay a dark gray egg. I currently have 2 of her daughters, one smooth and one frizzle, they are black in color, but I plan on breeding them with a gray feathered green egg gene, naked neck/ frizzle rooster I have. The daughters eggs have been in a recent Backyard Poultry magazine.
View attachment 2829904
As far as "Greyslyn", she is almost 10 years old, and living on girlfriend's farm and still laying fertile gray eggs.
You should do an article. Click here to create your article:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/add

Back
Top Bottom