Ended Official BYC Contest - Post your best broody and babies pic and win!

Here is Pixie with Button, one of 6 standard sized Orpington chicks of different colours. He's turned out to be a boy but at 4 and a half weeks still cheeps piteously and tries to stuff himself under her for a cuddle when he's cold (I tell him he's a big baby).

Pixie didn't hatch these chicks (you wouldn't fit 6 large eggs under her) but she excitedly adopted them the moment she heard them cheeping and even helped me shove them under her in the dark. Pixie loves being a mother but gets restless at about 5 weeks, starts laying again at 6 weeks, and goes broody once again after laying for 6 weeks!!! She's an Old English Game Bantam and she's the perfect broody as she doesn't mind us handling her babies right from the start.

Here she is at 4 weeks with her brood. We added 3 more babies at 3 weeks as all our blue Orpington chicks sprouted wattles and combs and we really wanted a girl. Pixie didn't even notice. They are mostly inside with a heat lamp to help out, going out for day trips when it's sunny (it's winter where I am).

Here is Pixie with Button, one of 6 standard sized Orpington chicks of different colours. He's turned out to be a boy but at 4 and a half weeks still cheeps piteously and tries to stuff himself under her for a cuddle when he's cold (I tell him he's a big baby).

Pixie didn't hatch these chicks (you wouldn't fit 6 large eggs under her) but she excitedly adopted them the moment she heard them cheeping and even helped me shove them under her in the dark. Pixie loves being a mother but gets restless at about 5 weeks, starts laying again at 6 weeks, and goes broody once again after laying for 6 weeks!!! She's an Old English Game Bantam and she's the perfect broody as she doesn't mind us handling her babies right from the start.

Here she is at 4 weeks with her brood. We added 3 more babies at 3 weeks as all our blue Orpington chicks sprouted wattles and combs and we really wanted a girl. Pixie didn't even notice. They are mostly inside with a heat lamp to help out, going out for day trips when it's sunny (it's winter where I am).
Love this pose
love.gif

Thanks everybody - they did pose beautifully. I adore Pixie, she's a doll and so patient with her babies (so patient with our kids too).

I was not expecting so many high quality entries when I started this contest and realised quickly that we're going to have more than only two deserving winners! I have upped the prizes for this contest and we'll now have FIVE winning pics, instead of the original two. Keep these wonderful entries you all!

I was not expecting so many high quality entries when I started this contest and realised quickly that we're going to have more than only two deserving winners! I have upped the prizes for this contest and we'll now have FIVE winning pics, instead of the original two. Keep these wonderful entries you all! 

That's awesome sumi! Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom