Ended Official BYC Contest: Waterers & Feeders - WINNER ANNOUNCED

I see the coop contest closed, but how long is this contest going?
We leave these contest end dates open since we don't know how many submissions we'll get. Some times of the year we get a ton really fast and others they just trickle in. We usually look for at least 10-20 submissions before closing a contest like this.

I hope to make an article the only problem is... I haven't made any feeders or waterers yet.
hide.gif

We leave these contest end dates open since we don't know how many submissions we'll get. Some times of the year we get a ton really fast and others they just trickle in. We usually look for at least 10-20 submissions before closing a contest like this.
i bet there are more great water-ers out there, maybe put this contest on the homepage? i think people forgot about it.

Here is my waterer. I've used it all summer and it works GREAT! The ideas were a combination of things I saw here at BYC.

Items:
5 Gallon bucket - Free from many local fast food restaurants (pickles) or bakery (frosting)
1/2" PVC pipe and 90 degree elbows
Hacksaw
PVC cement
Nipples (cheap on Ebay from China - under $3 shipped for 5)

I have 2 different levels. One for my full size chickens and a lower one for my bantam.

You can see it sitting on 2 buckets when I took pictures on my deck, but when it's in place under my coop it sits on 2 milk crates and a couple patio bricks.

It's easy to make, cheap for your wallet, and works absolutely great! I guess it cost about $6 to build. With my 5 chickens I only have to fill it about once per month.

Side note - If you use a dark colored pail and put a small piece of copper tube in the water you won't get algae growth.

To the moderators: I think it's crucial to differentiate between winter and summer watering and also to take into account climates. I live in Montana. What someone in Southern California, or Texas even, uses for winter watering would only be effective for me during summer. I would love to see a sticky for cold climate watering ideas. chicken techie, You rock!

Back
Top Bottom