Ended Official BYC Contest: Worst Chicken Molt Pictures - Fall/Winter 2012

Bald chicks rule.LOL
this little half pint is fearless when it come to her and her GF's one and only chick.
She is a frizzle
photo taken a couple weeks ago

This just cracked me up and impressed me all at once!
She is an awesome momma chicken... naked butt and all. hahahaha!!

we live in Maine and we have had chickens free-ranging our yard for the past 5 years. (They're great tick eaters!) Anyway, we potentially get snow in October as well and once the snow flies the chickens do not come out of their house until thaw. One reason is that they can get frostbite and lose toes and another is obviously because of molting. We have a wooden chicken house and we insulated it and we put plactic over the windows and front (small) door to help keep wind and moisture out. We also always keep shavings in the nesting boxes as well as on the floor of the house. We have an electric space heater (the kind that has oil enclosed in it and looks like an old time radiator) that we put in the house on low to not only keep them warm (we keep it around 60 or so) but to keep the water from freezing. We have also found that putting a light in their house in the fall ( on a timer) to mock the extension of daylight helps to slow/lessen the molting process. I believe it has something to do with the hours of daylight rather than temperature...it does seem illogical to lose all your insulation during the coldest months of the year. Also don't panic if you don't get eggs for awhile. Some chickens don't lay while they are molting and they will lay again after they have new feathers in. Good luck with your chickens! We have done it for 5 years and we still learn new things and I have learned that no one on this site ever made me feel like I've asked a dumb question. They're very good about offering advice and support.

Last edited:
Wow and I thought that my chickens had a bad molt!
goodpost.gif
yuckyuck.gif
thumbsup.gif

This little frizzle girl has been following her handsome boyfriend around the yard. He takes good care of her in spite of her tacky hairdo. Don't think she can hold a candle to that last little naked girl though!

My girls don't moult in October.
I think most people south of the equator probably find the same thing... since we're in Spring heading into Summer now.
A bit disappointed I can't post my bald chicken from last years moult.

LOL! Reminds me of my EE roo. He only has two tail feathers right now. It's hilarious! We call him "Tonto Two-Feather".
lau.gif

Ok something happened here....I hit the "quote" button but the other post didn't come up. Anyway, this post is in regards to the post by sahagi about Lala on page 4.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom