Ended Official BYC Contest: Worst Chicken Molt Pictures - Fall/Winter 2012

LOL! Yeah...Uhm, the feathers left around its neck remind me of the collar on the suit the wicked Cruella Deville wore in 101 Dalmations. I noticed my Pyncheon roo has a few missing on his neck, but didn't connect it to molting. I figured it was just that he was in a new pen. He's only about 7 mos old, so he may not be molting, huh? Haven't seen anyone else in the yard sans feather, but our quail were almost naked last month.

Hi all, this is my first year with my chickens, so we don't have any molting chucks, but I can't wait to see all the photos of your birds in molt. :D

I think this poor chicken has already won!! Oh my word!!
lau.gif

Tee hee! My frizzled cochins always moult in the summer!

Actually, I think this is a great contest. Lots of new chicken-keepers visit this site, and I think it's helpful for them to see the range of what's normal. The first time my chickens molted, I practically thought they were dying! I checked for mites, I worried about their nutrition- I knew that chickens molted, but having never seen it, I couldn't imagine that they could look that bad! This contest could be quite reassuring for newbies.
Plus, the indignant looks on the chickens' faces are just so funny...

Back
Top Bottom