Ended Official BYC Contest: Worst Chicken Molt Pictures - Fall/Winter 2012

kdubcook,

I live in Oklahoma and have a hoop house with an expanded metal floor. I move the hoop house ever couple of days and just let the chickens scratch the poop into the ground. No rinsing or carting required. I don't think it gets cold enough down here to bother your birds. I raise Dominiques and bantam cochins and they do just fine with no floor.

Really don't know what to say about this poor bird, haha. Looks like it escaped off the plate.
1f602.png

Thank you all soooo much for posting pictures of your naked, raggedy, scrawny birds. As a first time chicken keeper I had no idea they could get so ugly and then return to their former glory. All of my girls, and my roo, with the exception of one, look TERRIBLE right now. I thought I was the worst owner in the world, and have actively been avoiding having people visit because I was embarrassed! I've been sewing all kinds of creative coats to cover them up. LOL Whew!
yippiechickie.gif

Thank you all soooo much for posting pictures of your naked, raggedy, scrawny birds. As a first time chicken keeper I had no idea they could get so ugly and then return to their former glory. All of my girls, and my roo, with the exception of one, look TERRIBLE right now. I thought I was the worst owner in the world, and have actively been avoiding having people visit because I was embarrassed! I've been sewing all kinds of creative coats to cover them up. LOL Whew!
yippiechickie.gif

Yes, they look like something is very wrong with them.

Remember mine that was so bothered by it all that she did the Funky Chicken?

Here is a picture of Kinra today with the new feathers coming in. You can still see some of the older ones--looking kind of frayed and ratty. Then look at the pretty ones with the colored shimmer on them:

Welcome to the world of chickens!

Ron

This is my poor little Moltie -- she was actually renamed this a year ago when she FIRST Molted and no one else did! She was picked on because of her strange "state".

Here she goes again - the others have finished their "light" molting and she is left with just a curl of a puff of a tail feather - heaven forbid... my little Moltie.

Entering into the "All other breeds" category as she is a White Leghorn.

This is my poor little Moltie -- she was actually renamed this a year ago when she FIRST Molted and no one else did! She was picked on because of her strange "state".

Here she goes again - the others have finished their "light" molting and she is left with just a curl of a puff of a tail feather - heaven forbid... my little Moltie.

Entering into the "All other breeds" category as she is a White Leghorn.

Poor little thing!

Thank You for the picture.
sign0092.gif

Ron

WOW -- now that is a molting chicken ! I'm glad to see she can take care of herself - my little moltie gets hammered often - had to set up her own lot!

Normally she is a very pretty Buff hen. She would like to be entered in the "All other breeds". This is her 3rd molt. The white one is a 2012 baby and the black one is a silky/barred rock mix. She is 4 years old and has never molted.

Back
Top Bottom