Ended Official BYC Contest: Worst Chicken Molt Pictures, Fall-Winter 2013

My pullets went through a fall molt when they were quite young - not even laying yet. At first I thought it was my adolescent rooster being overly affectionate, but now I realize they were probably molting.
hide.gif
They didn't seem to lose any feathers at all, there was just lots of fluff on the ground.

I am so glad to see your bare butt Girl. I have been frantically reading so many posts trying to learn about their molts. Neck, backs, yes, but mine have never had butt molt before. I'm relieved to see that it is not abnormal, or something I'm doing wrong. It looks so bad and so sad.

Can you to tell me how long it took for her to return to her normal gorgeous self? I'm a worrier. thank you.

I have recently used DE (in the event mites or other parasites were causing this) on the ground, in the hen house and in the nesting boxes and I have added more protein to their diets. They are totally butt bare and also some are bare on their backs (saddle) before the tail feathers fan out. One is losing all her feathers on her neck too. I feel that I should be doing something more, but don't know what. It looks like chicken mange. How long before this cycle ends for them. Mine have never molted this severely before.

Back
Top Bottom