Ended Official BYC Contest - Worst Chicken Molt Pictures - Fall/Winter 2014

I would like to enter my Rhode Island Red, Uncle Jim in the all other breeds, worst chicken molt pics. Uncle Jim, named in homage to my older brother, turned one year in march, and is "suffering" through her first molt, as we speak,

the other two purty ladies are aunt freddy and mr.s priss, rir and white leghorn. who have not caught the "curse" yet

\

My girls have lost a ton of feathers and stopped laying completely for about 2weeks now is that normal?

My girls have lost a ton of feathers and stopped laying completely for about 2weeks now is that normal?

yes, how old are they? usually they don't molt the first year, but then each fall they will stop laying and go thru a molt where they lose all their feathers and grow all new ones. sometimes they will then begin laying again, but most don't start laying again until spring unless you put artificial light in the coop.

Ms. Sophie is by far the funniest molting hen I have ever seen. My Australorps look pathetic but compared to her, I have nothing to complain about as I laugh all the way to the chicken coop.
big_smile.png

Does molting occur because of the weather? I've haven't noticed my girls ever looking that.. er, scraggly?
lol.png
I've got Isa Brown mixes? I suppose some breeds are worse than others, but that is a whole new level of chicken nakedness!

Back
Top Bottom