Ended Official BYC Mini-Contest Series—Flappers & Fliers Photo Contest

That's sad. How long have they been together and do the Brahmas have hiding spots that they're often in?
It's going on about 3 weeks .yes they fly up on the dog create to get away from them. Thanks for asking. Any suggestions?
20231110_112452.jpg

It's going on about 3 weeks .yes they fly up on the dog create to get away from them. Thanks for asking. Any suggestions? View attachment 3680979
That might be the issue. It takes two weeks to settle a pecking order in normal circumstances. I would try removing all the hiding spots so they're not postponing the learning. (Whenever I've had hiding spots, it postponed the learning a lot, and in one severe case, the newbies were starving due to hiding.) If removing the hiding spots don't work after a couple of weeks, I'd say it won't ever work. Maybe when they're all adults (they look young to me, are they? ), you could try again with putting them in at night.

That might be the issue. It takes two weeks to settle a pecking order in normal circumstances. I would try removing all the hiding spots so they're not postponing the learning. (Whenever I've had hiding spots, it postponed the learning a lot, and in one severe case, the newbies were starving due to hiding.) If removing the hiding spots don't work after a couple of weeks, I'd say it won't ever work. Maybe when they're all adults (they look young to me, are they? ), you could try again with putting them in at night.
Yes, the Brahmas are between 4 to 5 months old in the Polish are 8 or 9 months old. So you're suggesting I remove the crates, this is where the brahmas has been living since they were baby chicks. We moved it in there so they could all get to know each other and that's where the Brahmas go at night to roost. I have 2 different feeders and waterers so the chick's can get to the food ok.

Yes, the Brahmas are between 4 to 5 months old in the Polish are 8 or 9 months old. So you're suggesting I remove the crates, this is where the brahmas has been living since they were baby chicks. We moved it in there so they could all get to know each other and that's where the Brahmas go at night to roost. I have 2 different feeders and waterers so the chick's can get to the food ok.
Yes, I'm suggesting that. They're a great hiding spot (not to mention a trap should the Polishes desire), so they could just be hindering the learning. With my newbies, it was often the nesting boxes that they hid behind, so I would have to move them so nobody could hide in them. The newbies eventually came around after that.

Back
Top Bottom