Ended Official BYC Mini Contest - Share your funniest/favourite chicken story

to help you understand, we used to put our chickens in the garage for the night so they wouldn't be too loud in the morning, as well as for protection. so one morning, one of our chickens (brownie) was in the nest box to lay an egg, well the rest of the chickens went into the backyard to forage. my sister (at the time seven) decided to take it outside anyways. i was helping my uncle with the car, and told her to leave the chicken where it was, and she listened. until i left. then she picked up the chicken to bring it to the backyard. i came back outside to find her crying on the driveway. i asked her what was wrong and she tearfully explained; "brownie laid an egg while i was carrying her." so i asked her why she was crying about that. bursting into sobs she screamed "BECAUSE I HAVE TO CLEAN IT UP." i just went back to fixing the car.

Not the funniest or my favorite but its dramatic with a funny ending.

A few years back we got a new coop. Compared to our old coop a mansion. So we moved the girls in. They were confused and going threw their first molt. The first day we all got home right at nightfall. So it's dark it was late fall. I go out with my flashlight to give my girls a goodnight snuggle and check to be sure they were all on the roost being a new home to them. To my surprise amelia( a rir 18 months at the time) was not present. I looked under the rooster, in the boxes, in the run. She was not there. So I enlist my family to search the grounds. We searched the barn, bushes, trees, under the coop. We were searching for almost an hour before we brought out the dogs. Not finding any evidence that something might have taken her. We started the search from the beginning back in the coop. My dad and I went in and counted again. Nope not on the roost. We turn around to check the boxes again and saw something move. She had been in a top box the whole time slicked up against the wall where when I shined the light over there she was in the shadow. We played the same game again a few days later but this time she was on the rungs of the ceiling and was found because she pooped on my shoulder while I was pulling hay out of the boxes looking for her. There is now netting over the ceiling so they cant get up there. Bet you didn't know chicken like to play hide and seek

Not the funniest or my favorite but its dramatic with a funny ending.

A few years back we got a new coop. Compared to our old coop a mansion. So we moved the girls in. They were confused and going threw their first molt. The first day we all got home right at nightfall. So it's dark it was late fall. I go out with my flashlight to give my girls a goodnight snuggle and check to be sure they were all on the roost being a new home to them. To my surprise amelia( a rir 18 months at the time) was not present. I looked under the rooster, in the boxes, in the run. She was not there. So I enlist my family to search the grounds. We searched the barn, bushes, trees, under the coop. We were searching for almost an hour before we brought out the dogs. Not finding any evidence that something might have taken her. We started the search from the beginning back in the coop. My dad and I went in and counted again. Nope not on the roost. We turn around to check the boxes again and saw something move. She had been in a top box the whole time slicked up against the wall where when I shined the light over there she was in the shadow. We played the same game again a few days later but this time she was on the rungs of the ceiling and was found because she pooped on my shoulder while I was pulling hay out of the boxes looking for her. There is now netting over the ceiling so they cant get up there. Bet you didn't know chicken like to play hide and seek
So do quail! I keep my quail 70% indoors(in my cement-floored basement, thankfully) and sometimes let them to run around. One of my quail that I hatched could fly a lot, and since the ceilng of my basement wasn't finished, I found her on top of a wooden plank when I was looking for eggs. Luckily there were no ceiling eggs :)

T-Rex's!!
Background, I raised two baby chicks in a broader box. I moved them to the chicken pen in a dog cage and cut board with a opening just their size as the older hens chased them all the time and wouldn't allow them in the chicken coop. The cage was in a protected area with a run. They felt safe there at night instead of going into the chicken coop with the meanies. I kept the flock feed there next to their cage.
Early summer I went to restock their food and check for flock eggs etc. found mice turds in the food. Totally freaked out, dumped the food and restocked. Immediately went in and googled how to get rid of mice in chicken pen. Thought of doing the water bucket idea. Well the next morning went out early to make sure food was okay. Found food with no turds, when leaving through the run I saw a dead mouse, grabbed a shovel and went to shovel out and found three more. I was so happy I have young pullets next to the food hunting at night. I guess being sheltered in the cage during the day they must of found entertainment at night, with each mouse, the thrill of hunting and killing each one during the night. Amazing, thank goodness they didn't eat them. I couldn't see any peck marks so I am guessing they shook to death or played chase each other with the mouse. The next morning I found three more dead mice and the next day two more. Haven't had a mouse turd since.

T-Rex's!!
Background, I raised two baby chicks in a broader box. I moved them to the chicken pen in a dog cage and cut board with a opening just their size as the older hens chased them all the time and wouldn't allow them in the chicken coop. The cage was in a protected area with a run. They felt safe there at night instead of going into the chicken coop with the meanies. I kept the flock feed there next to their cage.
Early summer I went to restock their food and check for flock eggs etc. found mice turds in the food. Totally freaked out, dumped the food and restocked. Immediately went in and googled how to get rid of mice in chicken pen. Thought of doing the water bucket idea. Well the next morning went out early to make sure food was okay. Found food with no turds, when leaving through the run I saw a dead mouse, grabbed a shovel and went to shovel out and found three more. I was so happy I have young pullets next to the food hunting at night. I guess being sheltered in the cage during the day they must of found entertainment at night, with each mouse, the thrill of hunting and killing each one during the night. Amazing, thank goodness they didn't eat them. I couldn't see any peck marks so I am guessing they shook to death or played chase each other with the mouse. The next morning I found three more dead mice and the next day two more. Haven't had a mouse turd since.
I do not have a mouse problem because all of my poultry (chickens, guineas and turkeys) will not only hunt and catch mice but they also eat them.

omg, Our mice are very limited here do to many birds of prey and a lynx that lived here for eight years. Never had a problem until this year. Never had an idea that chickens would kill mice, just a shocker. Now after your post it is normal, except the thought of them eating them yikes on the thought.

This is what I imagine that chicken said after seeing that mouse.

*bok*
*hey bob i found a tiny animal with a weird tail*
*its also trying to eat the baby chicks*
*cluck*
*WELL THEN KILL IT*
*how?*
*shake it around?*
:lau
Its more like

"I bonked it on the head... this tastes pretty good, I got it handled!"

Back
Top Bottom