Ended Official BYC Mini Contest - What is Your Hobby?

Pics
My number one hobby is sewing and making things for chickens! I started making hen saddles a few years ago after one of my ladies needed one. I just ordered one at first but then wondered if I could made my own. I had never really used the sewing machine before that point. Since then, I have made hundreds of them in all different sizes from serama sized to broad breasted turkey. I've tweaked and adjusted to get the fit, the elastic, and the durability just right :) I started selling them online a couple years ago and their popularity has gone up every year. This year, between selling saddles and chicks, I was able to completely cover the costs of keeping my flock and then some! I also added chicken tutus this fall and have been surprised with how well they've done!

View attachment 1970956 View attachment 1970966 View attachment 1970969 View attachment 1971020 View attachment 1971022 View attachment 1971025
All very cute, but I especially like the tutus. Cute! Cute! Cute!

Entry #3 - Baking

I love to cook and bake but I started out with a passion for baking cakes (mostly because I like eating cakes, haha). I am no expert, just a home-baker, and I don’t bring too much finesse to the decoration... I like to make things that look tasty and are great to eat. Mostly I love to make cakes for others or share with people. It’s especially satisfying when you have access to beautiful free-range eggs from your own chickens as I’m sure many of you feel.

I have often spent many hours in a panic late at night trying to bake birthday cakes for family members but they do always appreciate them. I find baking to be very therapeutic and of course you get a great reward when it’s all finished! :D
View attachment 1967920View attachment 1967921View attachment 1967922View attachment 1967924View attachment 1967925
Wow! Very beautiful cakes and they look like they're delish.

Loved seeing another "potholder person," Started when I was very young - my sister showed me how. Very difficult to find the type of loops I prefer to use. In the olden days Ben Franklin Dime stores used to have individual packages of one color loops- I used to spend all my allowance getting as many different colors as I could afford.

Now only can find the cheap, thin nylon ones.Don't even think people use pot holders any more. The have "ove gloves," etc. It's a dying art.
I've never been crafty (well, maybe but not in the artsy way lol), but my mom was a fantastic quilter, clothes maker, etc. I have a lot of potholders she made me over the years and still use some of them. Some I just keep and not use because they're getting a little worn.

Taking pictures of the sunset
  • What is is that you love about this hobby?
  • I live in Arizona, we're known for the sunsets here, they are beautiful, especially at change of season, when you can see some spectacular cloud formations. Walking 2 miles to take the picture and watch the sky change gives me time alone for thought and prayer. I do use filters just to get the coloring true to life as possible.
  • When do you do the Hobby?
  • usually around sunset, lol
  • What sacrifices do you make to be able to practice your hobby?
  • sometimes I walk home in dark, but I'd hardly call that a sacrifice.
  • Are you an amateur? An adept? An expert?
  • adept, experts have nice cameras
  • Are you lucky enough that this hobby is part of your job/income?
  • Nope
Ditto on every one of your thoughts.

My first hobby is raising my chickens. You might say it can be an old hen's home for chickens as we don't eat the chickens. I raise them for the eggs and the entertainment of watching them.

Attachments

• DSCN0476.JPG
    DSCN0476.JPG
    1,005.4 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom