Ended Official BYC Mini Contest - What is Your Hobby?

Like glassdragonfly said, I like to re-use junk. I built this coop from left-overs. The framing lumber was excess from a garage construction. The windows were salvaged from a home remodel as was the door. And best yet, was the outside siding. Slabs from a local lumber mill.
So consider this as my 2nd entry. Enter it under the category Scrounging. :D

Note to BYC admins: How about another mini contest about re-purposing old pallets?

View attachment 1976949 View attachment 1976950 View attachment 1976951
Wow! That came out great!

ENTRY #2 - GARDENING

It started with a water garden. When gardening, why not dream big? So when my husband and children went away to visit grandparents for a few weeks, I dug and hauled rocks and liner and plants, and created a small water ecosystem complete with fish and frogs and water lilies that is still going 18 years later:

View attachment 1972973
View attachment 1972851 View attachment 1972852
View attachment 1973000
I enjoyed creating that garden so much that next year I took a spade and dug up another area of the yard. This time I planted a garden of hostas and astilbes under two tall spruce trees.

View attachment 1972977
View attachment 1972978
View attachment 1972976
I didn't stop there. I kept digging and digging, putting in a new garden each summer. I had become a hosta fanatic, and before I came to my senses ten years later, I had planted over 110 hostas of 70+ varieties all around my yard. The gardens were gorgeous - but I had to weed them every year!!

Of course I have more than just hostas. Mainly I have shade plants because I live under large trees. I've planted various ferns, wild geraniums, bleeding hearts... And I have over 400 irises, all of them Siberian irises that look spectacular for one stunning week in early June.

View attachment 1973002
View attachment 1973001

Naturally I photograph my flowers and gardens because my #1 hobby is photography :) I'm not an expert gardener and I don't make money at it, but I have learned a lot about gardening over the last 20 years. Perhaps one of the most important things I learned is how to keep deer from eating my 110 hostas so that my gardens continue to look good all summer.
View attachment 1973010
View attachment 1973012
Oh my goodness, your gardens are so beautiful! I love, love, love hostas. One of these days I'll have a hosta garden. I'll have to save this page to refer back to yours! Just lovely :love

Back
Top Bottom