Official BYC Poll: Do You Keep a Rooster?

Do You Keep a Rooster?

• Yes, just one

Votes: 132 24.8%
  • Yes, more than one

Votes: 250 47.0%
  • No, never

Votes: 61 11.5%
  • No, but I used to

Votes: 41 7.7%
  • What's a rooster?

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • No, but I intend to in the future

Votes: 44 8.3%

• Total voters
Pics
My killer Belgian d 'Uccle rooster weighted in at under two pounds, and could fly up to my eyeball level! A very bad boy, who stayed too long, as he was our first rooster. Never again!
Mary
Yeah, I have a feeling this guy would do that if he weren't afraid of my top hen. She defends me. He's never attacked me, thankfully. He's attacked the feed bucket when I was carrying it. He hates that bucket.

Last year after purchasing chicks from Murray McMurry and hatching some eggs I had too many roosters. Even after losing some to my fault of the heat lamp too high.
So in late August 15 roosters went to process. Leaving 2 for the 15 gals. The one Roo is dominate and will chase the other one around.

One never knows with roosters, especially between various breeds. Like all males, they are unpredictable at times. Sometimes, a group will work it out and all be OK, Sometimes a couple will fight to the death. A really good rooster, will often be real aggressive to people, but be the best specimen of his kind for other traits. I knocked the head of a mean barred rock one time in anger! But, I had a few more good looking roosters to choose from, anyway. I could of dealt with that better, by just deciding to cull him and another couple before he got so big and aggressive. I have kept a couple bad boys, because they were so perfect for their job and looked like what their breed was supposed to look like! I had kids back in the early days and bad roosters were more of a problem for me then. I am not a pro, breeder, or expert on chickens. I have done it a long time now, but pretty casually, just for my own use and a few other families. I have worked around large chicken, cattle and exotic animals operations but was not the chief honcho and one of the most significant things I learned, was never turn your back on an "intact" male animal!

2 of them. Here is my favorite.....
IMG_20210212_184921.jpg

I have 1 for 6 hens. He doesn't mind me being around and actually runs from me. But, he doesn't like my husband or grandson and acts like he is thinking about challenging them. I guess it's a testosterone thing.

Attachments

• 0102211622_HDR.jpg
    0102211622_HDR.jpg
    563.7 KB · Views: 1
I have a Ameraucana rooster and a California White rooster, for 13 hens. Theyre both docile but the Ameraucana is older and the boss. He' a really good protector of the hens. The California White is 6 months old. I've also gotten into incubating and just hatched 14 baby chicks. I love the different colors they turn out to be and I can tell, most the time which rooster theyre from except one. Its black. Now where did it come from, I don't even have any black hens. Lol :)

Back
Top Bottom