Official BYC Poll: Are You Comfortable Injecting Vaccines or Medications Into Your Birds?

Are You Comfortable Injecting Vaccines or Medications Into Your Birds?

• I don’t know - it hasn't come up yet.

Votes: 85 50.3%
  • The vet or a more experienced friend does it for me.

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • Yes, I’ve done it once or twice.

Votes: 19 11.2%
  • Yes, I’ve done it a bunch and I’m super comfortable with it.

Votes: 26 15.4%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 31 18.3%

• Total voters
OMG hahaha I hear u on the 'junkies playground'. All the injectable stuff I give here I have my own sharps container!

I have had horses all my life, not to mention dogs, cats, rabbits, cavy, birds since childhood. And now chickens.....

Early on I learnt the value of getting my critters vaccinated, de-wormed or antibiotics - an ounce of prevention is worth a POUND of cure!

And of course to save money on expensive Vet bills I learnt to give shots of everything from Rabies to Eqvalan and Droncet 🙂 (it helps that I also was a nurse haha).

If it come in an injectable form, I would prefer to give it that way. One quick jab and it's done - no fighting with the animals to stress them out.

And in the end it's one more tool and skill I have to ensure healthy happy long-living animal friends!

LORT especially horses, beautiful graceful accidents looking for a place to happen 😂

Its actually more fun and no pain in the asss at all. Watching them grow and interact amd learn pecking order. You been far misled.

look im gona bow out on this thread . Too mmuch left winged thinking… a chicken is not some anima that needs you to take care of it 24/7, just provide it food, water, shelter. They’ve survived just fine for how many years now without our help. Your average backyard chicken keeper is not worried about production.. so get 10 birds, be happy with 5-7 eggs a day, have some off days, and act your life just the same as if they werent there. Let them free range as much as possible. Cull after 2-3 years, replenish stock every year after dispatching the ones chosen to go, its not rocket science, just chicken math! Add, subtract, multiply!!

For me waiting for 5 to 6 months for hen to start laying is more time and money... If we want layers we get pullets already laying, young chicks are a pain in the patootie!

None of our local farm stores sell laying hens. So I have only ever bought chicks and raised them from the start. I certainly enjoy the process, and when that first egg came, I really felt I had achieved something. Dear Wife said I was so proud of that first egg that you would think I laid it myself! I am sure there are advantages in buying a laying hen.

Not at the moment but many years of experience!
Have to say that the horses are also enjoying the chickens - though when my young rooster first started to crow my Arabian mare almost crashed through her stall hahahaha! When she saw that it was the youngster making all that noise she looked at me as if to say 'that noise is coming from that??!!' hahaha now she really enjoys watching the antics of them as they cluck, squabble, fight and peck around the barn - if I had known chickens were this much fun I would have got them years ago!

None of our local farm stores sell laying hens. So I have only ever bought chicks and raised them from the start. I certainly enjoy the process, and when that first egg came, I really felt I had achieved something. Dear Wife said I was so proud of that first egg that you would think I laid it myself! I am sure there are advantages in buying a laying hen.
Have had both - chicks are cute and fun, but way too much work. Now I leave it to the hens - have four, 4 week old chicks at the moment - too much worry and stress even with mama raising them! Meanwhile my 20 week old pullets that were incubator hatched-out in June are only just the past few days starting to lay.... thus paying their way.

Have to say that the horses are also enjoying the chickens - though when my young rooster first started to crow my Arabian mare almost crashed through her stall hahahaha! When she saw that it was the youngster making all that noise she looked at me as if to say 'that noise is coming from that??!!' hahaha now she really enjoys watching the antics of them as they cluck, squabble, fight and peck around the barn - if I had known chickens were this much fun I would have got them years ago!
Chickens are ENDLESSLY amusing! I also had bo idea, nor about how individual they are. The goats are puzzled and piqued by them and the dog adores them.
The rabbits and cats are afraid of them bc my girls go dino and run them off! 😂

Back
Top Bottom