Official BYC Poll: Are You Comfortable Injecting Vaccines or Medications Into Your Birds?

Are You Comfortable Injecting Vaccines or Medications Into Your Birds?

• I don’t know - it hasn't come up yet.

Votes: 85 50.3%
  • The vet or a more experienced friend does it for me.

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • Yes, I’ve done it once or twice.

Votes: 19 11.2%
  • Yes, I’ve done it a bunch and I’m super comfortable with it.

Votes: 26 15.4%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 31 18.3%

• Total voters
Do you do your ponies vaccinations? Vets are so expensive that we do ours.
No, we don't vaccinate any of our horses/ponies for hendra or anything. We tried it once on Leo and it resulted badly - he was sick for days, we thought he may pass away, but luckily he didn't. Now the first thing the vet asks when you ring them up and say your horse is colicking, they ask you if it was vaccinated for hendra recently.

I never did, never needed to. I think it’s forbidden by law ( in my country, ) to give medication that needs to be injected without the proper education.

I know its forbidden to euthanise a sick chicken if I wanted to. I have to slaughter a chicken if it gets sick and can’t be cured, or I have to let her die, or I have to go the vet for a euthanisation.

Antibiotics are only available after a visit to a vet.

I never did, never needed to. I think it’s forbidden by law ( in my country, ) to give medication that needs to be injected without the proper education.

I know its forbidden to euthanise a sick chicken if I wanted to. I have to slaughter a chicken if it gets sick and can’t be cured, or I have to let her die, or I have to go the vet for a euthanisation.

Antibiotics are only available after a visit to a vet.
Communism

Communism
1. Health care protection needed against the expanding numbers of bacterial infections that have build up resistance for antibiotics .
2. Rules made for the agri-farms to minimise use of poisons + antibiotics to avoid residues in the food (eggs and meat).
3. We have several laws against animal cruelty. Some rules are made for agri-farms , animal transport and slaughterhouses, and are rather strange. Some don't seem to suit tiny farms and pet keepers who only have a few animals.

1. Health care protection needed against the expanding numbers of bacterial infections that have build up resistance for antibiotics .
2. Rules made for the agri-farms to minimise use of poisons + antibiotics to avoid residues in the food (eggs and meat).
3. We have several laws against animal cruelty. Some rules are made for agri-farms , animal transport and slaughterhouses, and are rather strange. Some don't seem to suit tiny farms and pet keepers who only have a few animals.
Yup, but it is still a reduction of rights;)

I'm a vet tech and I've injected meds and vaccines into a lot of different sorts of critters, but surprisingly birds hasn't been one yet. I'd just need to read up on where/how to give it and I'd be fine :p.
I haven't done vaccines on my chickens before. Two came to me vaccinated, one was already an adult when I got her, and the rooster I originally intended to grow out for meat so I didn't give him any vaccines either. I probably won't vaccinate any future chicks unless I specifically hatch some to be layers. That won't be for years though, until my current flock starts to age out.

Back
Top Bottom