Official BYC Poll: Do Your Chickens Go Inside Their Coop When It Snows?

Do Your Chickens Go Inside Their Coop When It Snows?

• My chickens are tough--they stay out no matter what!

Votes: 7 3.0%
  • Some birds go in, while others prefer to stay out

Votes: 72 31.0%
  • They prefer to stay outside, under cover

Votes: 53 22.8%
  • They only go inside when it's snowing really hard

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • My fair-weather flock returns to the coop

Votes: 57 24.6%
  • It doesn't snow where I'm located

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 30 12.9%

• Total voters
It's winter - meaning it's snowing in some areas. Although the common expectation is for all your chickens to hurry on inside the coop you might get a few rebels since each chicken has its own personality, just like us humans. So: Do Your Chickens Go Inside When It Snows?

Place your vote above, and please elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other".

View attachment 2950671

Further Reading:

(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)
No matter if we get only a 1/2 inch of snow, our chickens huddle in the doorway of the coop each waiting for another to go first. Once we shovel a path for them they all get brave at once and then stay outside.

If my chickens wake up to a white world they typically don't come out for two or three days, and the it's only some that come out. I think it's more that they don't like change than they don't like snow. I think it helps if they have a reason to come out, like they want to go foraging. In a 9" snow a couple made a trip to the compost pile to check it out, but only after a couple of days in the coop.

The day I took this picture it did not snow until after they were already out. It was only about an inch but they did not bother to go in.

Snow Feb 2013.JPG

We haven’t really had snow besides a dusting up until last night. One brave chicken came out before 10am. I went out to the run, and wiped the teeny amount of snow off of the ramp (must’ve blown in last night as we have a tarp over the run), and off a few pallets/branches we have for them to climb on, and threw some veggie scraps in the pile of leaves in there that did not have snow on it. Then they all came out except the one in the nesting box.

Attachments

• 50D768A7-F545-4927-BC13-6CCEB66C5239.jpeg
    50D768A7-F545-4927-BC13-6CCEB66C5239.jpeg
    375.7 KB · Views: 3
  • E570BCAB-D898-404C-A462-F71CFC619C68.jpeg
    E570BCAB-D898-404C-A462-F71CFC619C68.jpeg
    594.2 KB · Views: 3
🤷‍♀️ I'm not really sure what my flock will do if it snows. The oldest hens have only seen snow for two days and it was already on the ground when they woke up. The first day, they refused to leave the coop. I finally took pity on them and moved their food into the coop for the day. By the second day, some of the snow had melted so they left the coop and even ventured outside of the run - making sure not to step in the snow itself of course😆

Back
Top Bottom