Official BYC Poll: Excess eggs, what do you do with them?

What do you do with your excess eggs?

• Eat them

Votes: 304 59.4%
  • Hatch them

Votes: 108 21.1%
  • Sell them from home

Votes: 194 37.9%
  • Sell them at the farmers market

Votes: 17 3.3%
  • Give them away to family and friends

Votes: 375 73.2%
  • Donate them to church, a food bank, etc.

Votes: 65 12.7%
  • Pickle them

Votes: 51 10.0%
  • Feed them to other animals

Votes: 158 30.9%
  • Throw them away

Votes: 17 3.3%
  • Compost them

Votes: 26 5.1%
  • Sell them as hatching eggs

Votes: 36 7.0%
  • Don't have excess eggs

Votes: 49 9.6%
  • I buy my eggs

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • Art & crafts

Votes: 25 4.9%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 16 3.1%
  • Give away as hatching eggs

Votes: 23 4.5%
  • Feed them back to the birds

Votes: 144 28.1%
  • Freeze them

Votes: 40 7.8%
  • Dehydrate them

Votes: 9 1.8%
  • All of the above

Votes: 5 1.0%

• Total voters
I have learned how to bake scrambled eggs in the oven. Every week when I wash eggs to sell, I always end up with some rejects. Cracked eggs, or too small, or uglies for one reason or another. When I have a dozen or so rejects, I scramble them, pour them into an 8x8 baking dish and bake at 325 for about 15 min. or until set. Cool and cut into squares, them layer with parchment paper into a plastic container and freeze. Add a square to dog's breakfast. I prepare her breakfast the night before so it's thawed by morning.

I now have 4 dozen water glassed eggs from last fall that I need to use up. They're perfectly fine but I'm getting 12-16 eggs a day from my hard-working girls! I'll be scrambling the water-glassed eggs, baking them and freezing them to add to my older dog's diet daily till they're all used up.

We're a big family, and go through 4-5 doz eggs per week. We're currently getting 5-6 doz per week from our 12 hens, with 9 young hens coming on line in Aug or Sept, when the older hens are likely to start molting.

Any extra eggs this Spring/Summer are being water glassed for use this Winter, when laying drops off. I'm water glassing enough eggs to make up about 3.5 doz/week of our needs, with the 20 or so eggs per week we saw the hens lay last Winter making up the difference.

With the extra hens this winter, we have a buyer for any extra eggs and that money will go toward feed and other needs.

I get so little quail eggs that they all count as extra. Too little to cook anything of importance. I get an average of one egg a day!
But what do I do with these tiny eggs?
I make mini sunny side up eggs! Sometimes I will also make mini versions of food to go with it, like my own mini french toast pieces!
Another funny thing I sometimes make to go with them is sunny side up jumbo chicken eggs. This really makes them look small!
(I am aware of how old this thread is.)

I sell my eggs.
IMG_20190216_142544.jpg

Back
Top Bottom