Official BYC Poll: Have Your Neighbors Ever Complained About Your Chickens?

Have Your Neighbors Ever Complained About Your Chickens?

• No, never/ they don't seem to care

Votes: 212 67.7%
  • Yes, because of the noise of the hens

Votes: 10 3.2%
  • Yes, about the noise of my rooster(s)

Votes: 19 6.1%
  • Yes, about the smell

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Yes, about the coop

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Yes, about the run

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Yes, because of the rodents

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Yes, because they trespassed onto their property

Votes: 25 8.0%
  • My neighbors are far away to even notice them

Votes: 69 22.0%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 25 8.0%

• Total voters
Pics
I don't personally mind cows. We have three of them, in fact, right in our backyard. But some people find their patties offensive and the mooing annoying. 🤷‍♀️
Neighbor across the way has several lots up and down the road here. He rotates his cattle between these lots, and rarely has cattle on one lot for longer than 3 weeks at a time and a long break of several months between (giving nature time to naturally dispose of their waste). I don't mind cattle because this rancher is downright polite about it, moving his herd when things start to get a little odorous.

I don't personally mind cows. We have three of them, in fact, right in our backyard. But some people find their patties offensive and the mooing annoying. 🤷‍♀️

Well, I dislike dogs and find them both odorous and annoying, but I moved in here knowing that several neighbors have dogs. I have no right to complain unless the dogs come onto my property or the sanitation is not maintained at a healthy level. Dogs bark. These, fortunately, aren't particularly pointless barkers. :)

I have a cattle and goose farm farm to one side, a stable across the road from me, and I can faintly hear some roosters in the distance on the other sides. Down the road is a sawmill that I hear sometimes. The rural soundscape is great and I don't think anyone cares about anyone else's sounds.

IMO, I'd far rather listen to a sawmill, livestock, or farm machinery than the in-town noise of constant traffic and other people's music all day and half the night (the neighbors several houses away who had loud parties in the wee hours both weekdays and weekends suddenly got quiet when a Sheriff's deputy moved in across the street from us and had his cruiser parked in the driveway in sight of the road).

Other people's music is, IMO, worse than living next to the train tracks and worse than any number of roosters.

In the past I kept a pair of Sebright Bantam. Added two more chickens years later. One did not survived from unknown reasons.
I lived in a small town of a population of +20,000 and still growing. It other you live in the cookie cutter homes or live in the country here. My parent bought a suburb home here.

My neighbor had dogs. And I had chickens. They definitely were annoyed of the rooster. But made no complaints to animal control. But I have in the past complain about their dogs to the animal control with no success. lol

Thankfully they moved out 4 year ago.

Thanks a lot BOB. Just what we need, more uppity gripey stanky yankees infesting our pristine Florida wonderlands. :)
Hey hey hey now, lots of kind farmers where I am in rural NY. Yankee doesn’t always equate stanky! Upstate is 90% rural farm, forest, or mountain once you exclude the splattering of cities. And not at all uppity. A lot of the city-folk are not uppity either, especially the further north & west you go. ❤️

Other's music. Yah, tell me about it. I have a neighbor, kid, who thinks it's ok to stay up until 3 am with his friends with the music blaring so EVERYONE can hear it. he likes to play DJ too, so has a microphone that he yells into while his tootsie mama's scream back at him. They love using the N word too. I don't care what color you are, that is NOT a word that should be shouted out on a loud speaker, especially at 1 am. and 2 am, and 3 am. I have a neighbor next to him who is a devout christian, and another a few doors down who is Mulsim, so I KNOW they don't appreciate this either. I don't mind party's at all, if it was a weekend, well you know what, big deal, Im not going to have a fit if people want to have fun on a weekend now and then, but when it's like on a wednesday night, and weekends, and EVERY weekend and wednesday. umm ok, this is getting a bit much. Have your fun, but dude man, stay in the house, you have neighbors, RESPECT THEM, you don't need to be out in your yard screaming curse words at 2 am to have fun. Id much rather hear roosters cackling in the back ground, cows mooing, and girls doing the drama queen because it's 601 am and they usually get fed at 600 am, so YOU are late :D than that garbage.

Aaron

My current neighbors love them - even my really noisy, obnoxious rooster!

My former neighbors complained to the county that I had (and this is verbatim) "six or seven roosters" in the yard. I have ONE rooster.

My solution? I brought the offending rooster inside the house! 🤣 The county folks said that was perfectly legal, and even if the neighbors could hear him through open windows and doors, it was still perfectly legal. Hens were allowed in the yard, just not any roosters.

Then I moved out to a very rural area where all homeowners sign an agreement that they will tolerate farm/agriculture noises and smells. Life is soooooo much better out here!

Last edited:
Never complained. In fact they got chickens themselves a little later.
Yup, same here. Other neighbors (if you live on my road, you're my neighbor) like the "country" sound of my rooster.

We live out in the country. No HOAs. No traffic. I'll take the smell of manure on the fields over sounds of the city ANY day.

Back
Top Bottom