Official BYC Poll: Have Your Neighbors Ever Complained About Your Chickens?

Have Your Neighbors Ever Complained About Your Chickens?

• No, never/ they don't seem to care

Votes: 212 67.7%
  • Yes, because of the noise of the hens

Votes: 10 3.2%
  • Yes, about the noise of my rooster(s)

Votes: 19 6.1%
  • Yes, about the smell

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Yes, about the coop

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Yes, about the run

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Yes, because of the rodents

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Yes, because they trespassed onto their property

Votes: 25 8.0%
  • My neighbors are far away to even notice them

Votes: 69 22.0%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 25 8.0%

• Total voters
Pics
I don't know if they do this everywhere or if it's just a southern / rural thing but the TSC out here, every weekend people set up in the parking lot, especially on Saturdays with their livestock for sale, you'll see chickens, ducks, geese, piglets, rabbits, you name it. Great place to chat and meet people. Also you might want to check your local craigs list too, they typically have monthly 'chicken roundups' where people gather to swap stuff too.

Aaron
We have Farmer's Markets, but that's about it. I lived in an ag area with a robust swap meet in college, but our area is very tourist. I'm about an hour from any ag events I can find, but searching. The feed store is a pretty good hub.

Ya no $%it. Amazon warehouses going up all over. Today it just totally pissed me off. A corner of land, it's a KKKN FLOOD ZONE !!!! Every time we have a big rain, it all runs down there and floods the road 2 days later. Ive lived here oh I want to say 14 years, and Ive seen that road shut down 4 or 5 times because it's under 2 feet of water. Not to mention the block of land surrounding it 20 or so years ago it was a Rice Paddy!! That's how much water they get.

PLUS, there used to be dumps all over around there
PLUS, right next to it is a Septic Tank company who dumps the $%t out in the fields to dry out and compost. (guess where all that rainwater runs off to???). It's also a huge horse / donkey / mule pasture too.

The yellow signs are out, they are rezoning it PUD, and some other zoning, etc. Meaning it's been bought up and they are building houses there. So you are putting houses in a flood zone that runs through a septic field? Someone needs to be buried IN that septic field for that, IMO that's just criminal, those poor people who buy those houses, only to find out a few years later what happens during a heavy rain (Florida, can you say HURRICANE anyone???)

Hindsight is always 20 / 20. If I knew when I bought my house, oh it's DEED restricted, they won't cant build around it, they HAVE to leave the trees up. Little did I know all it took was to mafia bribe one of our corrupt jacksonville politicians to get that zoning changed in a jiffy.

What happened to the housing bust?
What happened to all these foreclosed houses?
WHY do we need so many new ones, what happened to all those old ones?
Especially with this millennial mindset of Ill just live with mom and dad until they croak and then get their house so I don't have to work to get one myself?

The way the economy is heading now anyways, how many of these buildings are going to be left half built / abandoned?

Aaron
You sound like my husband, who's from here. Yeah, Florida is closed. Stop moving here. 😂

But we are the water filter of the US and our land is decreasing with every hurricane destroying coastal homes and taking the beach because no one thought to allow for dunes and native plants which keep the sand in place--they pump it back up there like it's a construction project (in a lot of places), not an ecosystem.

We live on the intracoastal, but if you know the right officials, you can fill in a marsh to build a housing development like they did in SWFL.

i love hearing roosters and feel lucky to live on a pristine waterway. We can fish off our dock and eat pretty well. When we lived on the gulf coast with tourists everywhere, I had to see people constantly and now I can go days without seeing a soul if I want. That's the sort of Florida I want.

But people keep coming, hurricanes and all.

I have read about you’re problems and the parasols. This , my own experiences and a few other stories triggered me to suggest this poll. I hope everything has settled now kokosha, and hope you and you’re chickens are fine as far as can be with this nutjob. :hugs
Thanks! I haven't heard from the neighbors since they lost the battle with the town last fall. I have PTSD from the war they waged on me though, and if I hear them in their yard my heart starts racing and I go back inside until they are gone :( But lucky for me, they don't use their yard much. I don't trust that they're done with the case, but I can at least enjoy some fragile peace, finally.

I totally get why people don't want chickens in neighborhoods. Crowing/egg songs can be annoying, , there can be smells (especially if the chicken keeper is not being diligent about maintenance) or the chickens may escape and get onto their property. Just because I love chickens and tolerate a lot of things they do, doesn't mean everybody does, unfortunately.
I agree in theory. However, I had my setup inspected by the authorities over a dozen times last year while the neighbors were waging war on me, and no problems were ever found - no smell, no flies, I don't free range and have a predator proof run that no chicken can escape from so no problem of chickens wandering onto neighbors' properties, and I don't have roosters so noise is minimal. The only potential thing is the egg song, but 3 of my abutting neighbors have dogs and all of them are louder than my hens. One neighbor locks her pitbull on the balcony instead of walking it and it barks and whines for all to hear, including late at night, yet somehow the problem neighbor doesn't think that's an issue... So I have no sympathy for his complaints.

Immediately thinking Golden State Killer vibes. I'm terrified of folks who don't like animals.
Haha me too! Especially because there isn't any specific problem that the chickens are causing, he just doesn't want them on principle. It's his stance against animals that's so shocking (in addition to being an a** towards people).

Thanks! I haven't heard from the neighbors since they lost the battle with the town last fall. I have PTSD from the war they waged on me though, and if I hear them in their yard my heart starts racing and I go back inside until they are gone :( But lucky for me, they don't use their yard much. I don't trust that they're done with the case, but I can at least enjoy some fragile peace, finally.

I agree in theory. However, I had my setup inspected by the authorities over a dozen times last year while the neighbors were waging war on me, and no problems were ever found - no smell, no flies, I don't free range and have a predator proof run that no chicken can escape from so no problem of chickens wandering onto neighbors' properties, and I don't have roosters so noise is minimal. The only potential thing is the egg song, but 3 of my abutting neighbors have dogs and all of them are louder than my hens. One neighbor locks her pitbull on the balcony instead of walking it and it barks and whines for all to hear, including late at night, yet somehow the problem neighbor doesn't think that's an issue... So I have no sympathy for his complaints.

Haha me too! Especially because there isn't any specific problem that the chickens are causing, he just doesn't want them on principle. It's his stance against animals that's so shocking (in addition to being an a** towards people).
You don't have a roo but they complain. Total psychos! I'm so sorry.

We've had to work with a barking dog situation and it's tough. We resolved by providing extra fencing when we built ours, so they're double-fenced away, which helps.

Our mutual vet even reinforced the idea. 😅 She knows our alpha Husky would fight to the death if the dog came into our yard. Our boy is quiet, but had an experience with the dog as a puppy, when their dog jumped the fence and went after him while we were all standing around visiting. The dog moved out with a grown child, eventually.

You don't have a roo but they complain. Total psychos! I'm so sorry.

We've had to work with a barking dog situation and it's tough. We resolved by providing extra fencing when we built ours, so they're double-fenced away, which helps.

Our mutual vet even reinforced the idea. 😅 She knows our alpha Husky would fight to the death if the dog came into our yard. Our boy is quiet, but had an experience with the dog as a puppy, when their dog jumped the fence and went after him while we were all standing around visiting. The dog moved out with a grown child, eventually.
Dogs are hard. I’ve lived in the apartment below an apartment with a dog with separation anxiety. The poor beast would howl his lungs out at 6am every morning when his owner left for work, two hours before I had to get up. I wanted to shoot him. I never gave the owner any trouble though, she was doing her best but just had to go to work. People put up with so much crap for dogs, why should other animals be different? Especially if not causing any trouble?

Our current neighbors don't mind them. Our neighbors at our old house complained about all our animals. They even stole one of our goats (my show goat) and gave it away/sold it because they didn't like us having them. Their son made the mistake of telling my cousin at school who then told me. We also had a chicken that got through a hole in our fence that THEIR SON made (btw he was 17 at the time) and they shot it. :) some people are just stupid. I am SO GLAD we moved. 🙄

Most of my next-door neighbors are "older" so I guess they can't "hear" the rooster crow :cool:. I've not gotten any complaints, and I've had chickens for almost 3 years. Sometimes when I'm up the street walking my puppy and I hear Truce crow, I cringe a little. At least it's not super duper loud.

- I give the neighbors eggs sometimes
- Their dogs are much louder than my rooster :)

The neighbor is bitter because he had to pay an arm and a leg for a fence for his 3 large German Shepherds and people still complain about their barking so he can't leave them outside much. My chickens only free range when I'm with them and don't go on his property but he feels it would only be fair if I'd have to pay for a fence too. I think part of his bitterness stems from the fact he thought my front yard goes with his property when he bought it and found out he barely has any yard for his dogs. To make matters worse, he found out half his garage belongs to the neighbor on the other side. I'm pretty sure he's complained to the township that I allow my 6 chickens out in the yard but I follow township rules.

Back
Top Bottom