Official BYC Poll: Have Your Neighbors Ever Complained About Your Chickens?

Have Your Neighbors Ever Complained About Your Chickens?

• No, never/ they don't seem to care

Votes: 212 67.9%
  • Yes, because of the noise of the hens

Votes: 10 3.2%
  • Yes, about the noise of my rooster(s)

Votes: 19 6.1%
  • Yes, about the smell

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Yes, about the coop

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Yes, about the run

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Yes, because of the rodents

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Yes, because they trespassed onto their property

Votes: 24 7.7%
  • My neighbors are far away to even notice them

Votes: 69 22.1%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 25 8.0%

• Total voters
Pics
I checked with neighbors on either side, before getting chickens. They were both fine with it, and actually expressed an interest in raising chickens, as well. Not sure if they will follow through. I have no neighbors behind me, and that was a deciding factor. I keep my coop at the pack of our yard,, and very well cleaned.. My township does not allow roosters, so the one (or few) that we have, cannot stay. They will be processed and gifted. I love chicken, but.....

Honestly, I'm just asking for my neighbors to complain about my chickens. I moved the coop and run between our to houses during this last spring time and I think their bedrooms are on that side of the house that the chicken run is semi near. So I would feel kind of bad having my rooster crow early in the morning and everything but then I remember that for the last 2 years their dogs have been terrorizing us trying to jump over our fence, constantly barking, and just being aggressive anytime we would go into our backyard and would not stop. I even spoke to them a couple times very nicely about it and they didn't seem to care that much. So, I do not care if my chickens make a lot of noise in the morning.
Until their dogs come over your fence and kill your chickens, then you'll have to dispatch the dogs. now you have a bunch of holes to dig.

Aaron

My neighbors, who live on the same side of the yard that my chickens reside, also have chickens. They got them a year before we did. We live in an area zoned for them so even if they complained about it, I would try to be kind about it.

Yes mine have. Honestly it was my fault. I thought they’d be ok with them free-ranging in their backyard but nope! They called the town council on me. But technically I have a license and everything but I’m not allowed to let them free range. So I don’t do that anymore. It does make their run stinkier but it’s all good. I let them out some in the evening for about 30 minutes before they go to bed. That way they can eat some fresh grass before bed. When I get a fence around my backyard it’ll be a non issue because they won’t get in their yards.

Decades ago (SEVERAL decades ago) my ex and I moved from a fairly rural Tucson locale to a historic neighborhood right against downtown. I still don't know why my ex insisted on this, but the only place my chicken pens could go was right under the neighbors' eaves. I assumed I'd be getting rid of the poultry.

Sure enough, the next morning there was a knock on the door and it was our new next-door neighbor: "I just wanted to tell you how much my wife and I enjoyed those roosters this morning. We're both from the country and we hadn't heard roosters in 30 years."

Free eggs for them!

Back
Top Bottom