Official BYC Poll: Have Your Neighbors Ever Complained About Your Chickens?

Have Your Neighbors Ever Complained About Your Chickens?

• No, never/ they don't seem to care

Votes: 212 67.9%
  • Yes, because of the noise of the hens

Votes: 10 3.2%
  • Yes, about the noise of my rooster(s)

Votes: 19 6.1%
  • Yes, about the smell

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Yes, about the coop

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Yes, about the run

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Yes, because of the rodents

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Yes, because they trespassed onto their property

Votes: 24 7.7%
  • My neighbors are far away to even notice them

Votes: 69 22.1%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 25 8.0%

• Total voters
Pics
Never once has anyone complained even though we have 2 rather close neighbors. I do worry though that they are too loud sometimes especially when we have cockerels (in addition to our usual 5 or so Roos). Now that I think about it though something did happen once. A UPS driver came up to our front door to drop off a package and as she walked back to her truck our old male turkey popped out and started gobbling right next to her. I saw her jump two feet in the air out of shock from the strange noise and then she slowly backed away past the perimeter fence. That was the last time they ever left a package that close to my house door.

I had a horrible experience with one of my neighbors. I did so much to make the situation better, but now she doesn’t speak to me or go in her back yard. We are packed in tight in Portland Oregon but chickens are legal here and I am following the rules to a T.
But I did not start out that way. I got three chickens on impulse at the beginning of the pandemic and built a coop too close to her house. The chickens I picked were breeds that were particularly loud, especially the Rhode Island Red. I hoped for the best until she sent a barrage of angry text messages after about four months of living next to them. I was shocked and upset but I pulled myself together and found a good home, a farm in the suburbs, for my hens. The very next day.
Then I set about dismantling the coop and rebuilding it 34 feet from my neighbor. This took nine months and involved me transplanting a large shrub. I never complained to her, in fact, I made a vow to never communicate with her again. I think she’s irrational and mentally ill and has an entitled attitude.
She freaked out when she saw the new coop and confronted me in person in her passive aggressive way but I just said softly, chickens are legal in Portland and the coop is now 34 feet from your house. Then she sent another barrage of texts saying I should have some courtesy for her and that she has lime disease and thyroid disease and insomnia and needs to be able to sleep at random times throughout the day and so she needs quiet.
I did extensive research on the quietest hens that are also comfortable with confinement. I got bantam Cochins and I adore them and interact with them every day. They raise a ruckus when they lay eggs but I’ve talked to all my other neighbors and they say they they are not bothered at all.
It’s not exactly like the problem is solved perfectly, because we don’t speak to each other (I blocked her number so she can’t text me), but I am confident that I did the best I could. I’m an anxious people-pleaser. This has been a good experience to learn to stand up for myself. And take responsibility for my mistakes.
I admit though, I say a prayer at least once a week that she will move one day. It’s like having a gloomy witch hovering over my little urban pet-farm. Sometimes I hear her slam her window shut when the hens are singing their egg song. Oh well.

I had a horrible experience with one of my neighbors. I did so much to make the situation better, but now she doesn’t speak to me or go in her back yard. We are packed in tight in Portland Oregon but chickens are legal here and I am following the rules to a T.
But I did not start out that way. I got three chickens on impulse at the beginning of the pandemic and built a coop too close to her house. The chickens I picked were breeds that were particularly loud, especially the Rhode Island Red. I hoped for the best until she sent a barrage of angry text messages after about four months of living next to them. I was shocked and upset but I pulled myself together and found a good home, a farm in the suburbs, for my hens. The very next day.
Then I set about dismantling the coop and rebuilding it 34 feet from my neighbor. This took nine months and involved me transplanting a large shrub. I never complained to her, in fact, I made a vow to never communicate with her again. I think she’s irrational and mentally ill and has an entitled attitude.
She freaked out when she saw the new coop and confronted me in person in her passive aggressive way but I just said softly, chickens are legal in Portland and the coop is now 34 feet from your house. Then she sent another barrage of texts saying I should have some courtesy for her and that she has lime disease and thyroid disease and insomnia and needs to be able to sleep at random times throughout the day and so she needs quiet.
I did extensive research on the quietest hens that are also comfortable with confinement. I got bantam Cochins and I adore them and interact with them every day. They raise a ruckus when they lay eggs but I’ve talked to all my other neighbors and they say they they are not bothered at all.
It’s not exactly like the problem is solved perfectly, because we don’t speak to each other (I blocked her number so she can’t text me), but I am confident that I did the best I could. I’m an anxious people-pleaser. This has been a good experience to learn to stand up for myself. And take responsibility for my mistakes.
I admit though, I say a prayer at least once a week that she will move one day. It’s like having a gloomy witch hovering over my little urban pet-farm. Sometimes I hear her slam her window shut when the hens are singing their egg song. Oh well.
The funny thing is, we’re both artists and super liberal types. Just goes to show that that doesn’t make people have shared values or even much empathy and I wonder sometimes if I’d get along better with the conservative people in rural Oregon.

The funny thing is, we’re both artists and super liberal types. Just goes to show that that doesn’t make people have shared values or even much empathy and I wonder sometimes if I’d get along better with the conservative people in rural Oregon.
Sticking labels on people is not helpful towards 'getting along' with them. also you should tell your neighbor she's a real B or possibly even a C and to blow it out her A, trust me, it'll make you feel a whole lot better, AND sticking up for yourself!! Nutjobs are everywhere and they are not just 'liberals' or 'conservatives', it's hard to escape them but you Do have to stand up to them or they'll bully you to no end.

Aaron

But, you'd probably love it over here in rural Oregon. We all just pretty much leave each other alone. I have chickens, ducks, and Guinea fowl with no complaints from anyone.
Biggest problem I have is that the deer eat all my pears.
crows / blackbirds will destroy a pear tree too. A whole flock of them BUT, crows can be made indo a delicious pie. i used a 410 with 8 shot, took out a whole bunch of them and not too manyworries about the neighbors house across the street down the way a bit either

https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/cast-iron-chef/cooking-crow-meat-recipe-blackbird-pie/

aaron

All my neighbours love my chickens except the one who lives behind me. He complained about "excess noise pollution" so council came out, we had a chat and I found out I could keep a few difference species along with my chickens and ducks and one was GUINEA FOWL :lau
He then complained about stinky coops which was actually my bin on a summers day after missing the rubbish truck. Council came out again saw how well my animals were kept and asked why I thought he would be complaining, well his dogs broke a fence and killed one of my chickens and sent one of my dogs to the vet so I reported it. Council hasn't returned here but old guy behind me has been ordered to build a whole new fence

We’re rural, but there’s 4 houses close together. Chickens wander our 40 acres and the only time we’ve heard anything from the neighbors is when they’ve seen the birds close to the road or when one of our turkeys escaped past the tree row into the neighbors yard (apparently they didn’t put 2+2 together that is wasn’t some random turkey lol)

My neighbors have mentioned they can hear my chickens. They used to squawk very loading in the morning for me to open the coop. I got an auto door and that helped a lot. Also, I take care of their dog when they travel and give them eggs. So, they haven’t complained.

Back
Top Bottom