Official BYC Poll: How Do You Deal With Lice & Mite Infestations in your Coop?

How Do You Deal With Lice & Mite Infestations in your Coop?

• I provide plenty of dust bathing areas for my chickens

Votes: 93 76.9%
  • I inspect my chickens & coop regularly for any sign of mites & lice

Votes: 66 54.5%
  • I quarantine any new additions to my flock

Votes: 46 38.0%
  • I keep the coops and bedding clean and fresh

Votes: 68 56.2%
  • I periodically scrub the coop and nesting boxes down with soap & water

Votes: 20 16.5%
  • I regularly spray good pesticides such as Permethrin inside the coop surfaces

Votes: 28 23.1%
  • I occasionally dust the coop and bedding with diatomaceous earth

Votes: 49 40.5%
  • I prevent contact between my chickens and wild birds & rodents

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • I sprinkle pest-repellant herbs in the coop

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • I regularly rub my chickens with diatomaceous earth

Votes: 19 15.7%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 23 19.0%

• Total voters

BYC Project Manager

BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Feb 22, 2009
One of the most common problems encountered when raising and keeping poultry is lice & mites. They can be introduced by wild birds or visiting rodents, or get picked up when your birds get into contact with other, infested, birds at places such as poultry shows, sales, or auctions. Chickens with bad infestations become thin, don’t lay eggs well, and have reduced fertility. With really bad infestations your birds may also die.

So How Do You Deal With Lice & Mite Infestations in your Coop?

Please place your vote above, and elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other".

How Do You Deal With Lice & Mite Infestations in your Coop.png

Further Reading:
(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)

Last edited:
One of the most common problems encountered when raising and keeping poultry is lice & mites. They can be introduced by wild birds or visiting rodents, or get picked up when your birds get into contact with other, infested, birds at places such as poultry shows, sales, or auctions. Chickens with bad infestations become thin, don’t lay eggs well, and have reduced fertility. With really bad infestations your birds may also die.

So How Do You Deal With Lice & Mite Infestations in your Coop?

Please place your vote above, and elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other".

View attachment 2741295

Further Reading:
(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)
Although I don’t dust my chickens regularly, I like to keep permethrin handy in case.

I usually clean out the coop once a week and nest boxes as required, checking weekly for signs of mites (or sometimes a little more often) and using a permethrin-based spray or powder as required. I wish I didn't have to use chemicals/insecticides but we are using an old wooden shed as our coop and mites really have to be kept on top of - permethrin is the only thing which has worked for me. Occasionally in the summer season I will find a few mites and I act right away.

Our flock have good dust bathing places available, although I can't keep them away from rodents and wild birds. If I ever see lites/mice on the chickens then I treat them with a permethrin spray as well. New chickens are kept separate for a time.

I do the first five and the seventh in the poll, plus I disassemble and power-wash the coops if I do find mites.

Back
Top Bottom