Official BYC Poll: How Do You Expand Your Egg Laying Flock?

How Do You Expand Your Egg Laying Flock?

• Through Incubation

Votes: 103 37.5%
  • Through natural breeding

Votes: 104 37.8%
  • By buying newly hatched chicks

Votes: 183 66.5%
  • By buying chicks > 6 weeks

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • By buying point of lay hens

Votes: 27 9.8%
  • By getting older hens (rescues)

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 9 3.3%

• Total voters
I selected "other" because over the years it has ended up being the birds find US! We knew someone who was starting over with young birds and gave us the older hens, and they still lay for us occasionally. Our rescue girl Wally came from a parking lot (can you ever guess where by her name) and she began to lay as well. The hen I hand raised doesn't even lay now :lau

I buy chicks when I have a broody hen who can raise them. The first time a hen went broody, I got fertilized eggs for her to incubate. It was exciting when they hatched, but also difficult because out of 6 eggs, only 3 hatched successfully. Two never did anything and one pipped but wasn't able to make it out of the shell. That was sad. So now I give my very reliable broody ceramic eggs to sit on for 3 weeks, then buy the chicks and slip them under her that night. It has worked every time--I can't imagine doing it any other way now. I love watching her take care of them, and the fact that they get to be chickens doing chicken things from day two! We have 6 newbies right now, who will soon be 4 weeks old.

I love hatching. I usually just buy hatching eggs and hatch. I did buy chicks this year because there were some specific breeds I wanted and could only find at a local hatchery. Then I stupidly added 3 polish chicks I’d bought from a lady to that mix, introduced cocci, and lost 6. Always quarantine!!!! I was too trusting.
Anyway, after some good old Amprol the 19 survivors are doing well.
My plan now is to actually choose and keep a roo out of what I hatch/or the chicks I bought.....and then hatch next spring from my own flock 😊😊.

When my husband was alive, he would replace the flock every 2 years. We would give the 2 yr old hens away to people that didn’t care if they laid a lot of eggs. Sometime we would get chicks and sometimes 17 wk old pullets. The pullets were by far the easiest. Just bring them home and put them in the coop. Now that he is gone, I think the 17 I have left will be the last.

The top reason why people raise chickens is for their eggs (according to our poll: Why Do You Have Chickens). Some may want more eggs for personal consumption, for reselling or for increasing their current flock. There are multiple ways to expand the egg laying flock, so we would love to know: How Do You Expand Your Egg Laying Flock?

Feel free to place your vote and please elaborate in the comment section if you choose "Other".

View attachment 2655264

Further Reading:

(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)
I love watching them free range and interacting with them. My silkies like to cuddle

I either buy point of laying hens, adopt 1-2 year old hens or get newly hatched chicks. I’ve decided after this second time trying to incorporate pullets with older hens, I’m going with the adoption or new layer route from now on. It’s much easier and takes less time.

The top reason why people raise chickens is for their eggs (according to our poll: Why Do You Have Chickens). Some may want more eggs for personal consumption, for reselling or for increasing their current flock. There are multiple ways to expand the egg laying flock, so we would love to know: How Do You Expand Your Egg Laying Flock?

Feel free to place your vote and please elaborate in the comment section if you choose "Other".

View attachment 2655264

Further Reading:

Started out by buying chicks last summer, bought more chicks this spring, and now I have a broody Silkie sitting on several eggs. I’m hoping she’ll hatch them, and then that will be my new way of getting chicks moving forward.

View attachment 2655264

Further Reading:

I have a few chickens that supply me with eggs.

As a part time business, I raise day old Hy Line Brown chicks that I sell when they reach five weeks old. I supply to homeowners, lifestyle farmer's and anyone who wants laying hens. Here in New Zealand, there's no tractor supply stores that sell them. And, business is good. Check out my current ad at trademe.co.nz under hy line brown.

For chickens I usually buy eggs and incubate. Quail are my main egg layers. They provide fertile eggs for me to incubate, though recently Big Mama has brooded her own chicks too.

Back
Top Bottom