Official BYC Poll: How Do You Keep Flies Out Of Your Coop?

How Do You Keep Flies Out Of Your Coop?

• I clean their coop regularly

Votes: 147 62.3%
  • I use sand on the coop floor to keep it dry and odorless

Votes: 50 21.2%
  • I have electric fly zappers in the coop

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • I grow carnivorous plants around the coop

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I use fans around the coop to keep the air moving

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I keep waterers out of the coop to avoid moisture

Votes: 69 29.2%
  • I clean up their left-over snacks and treats

Votes: 53 22.5%
  • I eliminate stagnant & pooling water

Votes: 75 31.8%
  • I breed fly predators such as non-stinging wasps

Votes: 7 3.0%
  • I've placed my compost pile far away from the coop & run

Votes: 62 26.3%
  • I use fly traps

Votes: 78 33.1%
  • I clean/dust their coop with repellants and/or pesticides

Votes: 32 13.6%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 37 15.7%

• Total voters
It's labeled for use on chickens too.
It's just permethrin. It's safe.
Safe for chickens. Not safe for bees šŸ.

Natural Pyrethroids
Pyrethrins are a mixture of substances and are extracted from the oil of a type of chrysanthemum (Chrysanthemum cinerariaefolium extract). Pyrethrins are often in aerosols to combat various types of insects and may also be used in (organic) agriculture. The substance piperonyl butoxide is often also added to enhance the effect. Piperonyl butoxide itself is not an insecticide but ensures that pyrethroids are broken down less quickly in the body of the insects. "Natural" does not automatically mean good or safe. Natural pyrethrins are less harmful to mammals and birds than many synthetic pyrethroids, but still very harmful to fish and beneficial insects such as bees.

Translated from : https://waarzitwatin.nl/stoffen/pyrethroiden (independent info about poisons in consumer goods)

Ok here's something interesting I am seeing.
I was using a more generic, ie cheaper feed called Producers Pride or something, but while the chickens ate it good enough, the flies were literally like stink on their shit. I mean the flies were just swarming like I never seen them do before. Even when i would move the coop away, a week later, the flies were still swarming the area where the chickens were at.

About a week ago, i ran out of food, and not wanting to drive an extra 12 miles to the tractor supply, stopped in at the local feed store and picked up a bag of the purina chicken food. The flies are nowhere NEAR as bad now as they were with the generic food. On a hunch I went to the TS and asked them, and got a dumb look but did talk the guy into giving me a few pounds of the other stuff again from a ripped bag to take home and experiment. Sure enough, fly city again on that food!!

I wonder what's in the cheap stuff that brings the flies in so much. FWIW the chickens won't touch the flies either, they seem more annoyed with them than interested in a snack.

Aaron

This works pretty well but it's very sticky and you have to be careful where you hang it.
FlyRoll.jpg
20210605_103004[1].jpg

I have a bunch of mint growing around, it takes over like a weed if you let it.
I might plant some around the coop area, get a nice mint grove going, no flies and mint tea. a win win.

Aaron
Which is funny, because I have fly infestations all around my mint! It may be because it's damp there near the hose, but the mint sure doesn't seem to repel the flies!

This is my first time having chickens. They are in the mobile Cluck Wagon that I move every 1.5 - 2 weeks. The flies are HORRIBLE. Poop falls out of the wagon mainly and I clean what doesn't every week. They have a large electric fenced area and are out all day. Right now I have 2 fly bags that are constantly filling. I have fly predators on order. I'm trying to stay away from chemicals, but these things are nightmarish. It is stupid hot 90-99 with crazy humidity here in Florida so that does not help. I am open to all suggestions!

No fly problem,but coops,I have 3,screened .All air conditioned.Doors are closed,just in or out.Coops cleaned bleached,water mixture few days.Linoleum floor stays clean.Have sprayed permethrin on bedding occasionally,in case of fleas,but they rarely scratch.Run is elevated, no dirt contact.Rubber mats sand.40 ft. Run.
Run cleaned through day.No smell ever,attached to house,so like it clean.
NW Illinois,flies bother everybody ,everywhere only few times in summer anyway.
after big rains,then they go away.

The fly predators do make a difference, although it's best to start them in spring, rather than August.
Having an open coop floor isn't all that helpful, because spraying permethrin will of course go right through to the ground. A solid coop floor, with bedding, can be sprayed, along with the coop walls and ceiling, making a big difference.
The fly traps; are they at a distance, or right at the coop? They attract flies, so should be away from the area you want fly free.
Wish I had better advice! Here the mosquitoes have been awful, after heavy rains and hot weather. Not fun either.
Mary

The fly predators do make a difference, although it's best to start them in spring, rather than August.
Having an open coop floor isn't all that helpful, because spraying permethrin will of course go right through to the ground. A solid coop floor, with bedding, can be sprayed, along with the coop walls and ceiling, making a big difference.
The fly traps; are they at a distance, or right at the coop? They attract flies, so should be away from the area you want fly free.
Wish I had better advice! Here the mosquitoes have been awful, after heavy rains and hot weather. Not fun either.
Mary
Hi Mary. My fly issue is inside the fenced area, but not inside the actual mobile coop. The traps are away from the coop itself. One is 20ā€™ away from the entrance and the other 25ā€™ behind the coop but inside the fence.

Our mosquitoes are bad, too. The joke is theyā€™re the Florida state bird.

This is my first time having chickens. They are in the mobile Cluck Wagon that I move every 1.5 - 2 weeks. The flies are HORRIBLE. Poop falls out of the wagon mainly and I clean what doesn't every week. They have a large electric fenced area and are out all day. Right now I have 2 fly bags that are constantly filling. I have fly predators on order. I'm trying to stay away from chemicals, but these things are nightmarish. It is stupid hot 90-99 with crazy humidity here in Florida so that does not help. I am open to all suggestions!
Hello another person in Florida. I use fly tape. It works so well. Try to keep things dry. There are many fly traps but the tape is the best. I would put a little scoop up the poop under it and bam the flies stick. When I throw it away I put it is a Publix bag and flies in the trash cans get stuck to it too.

Back
Top Bottom