Official BYC Poll: How Do You Keep Rodents Away From Your Coop?

How Do You Keep Rodents Away From Your Coop?

• I clean the coop regularly

Votes: 65 54.2%
  • I have a dog/cat roaming near the coop

Votes: 65 54.2%
  • I store feed & water away from the coop at night

Votes: 51 42.5%
  • I have mouse & rat traps

Votes: 34 28.3%
  • I use mouse & rat poison

Votes: 16 13.3%
  • I look for and seal any holes & cracks around the coop

Votes: 41 34.2%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 15 12.5%

• Total voters
Pics
Hi Maizie - "Barn Cats" is just a label for stray cats that start hanging around your place. If you want to get them interested in helping you out i rodent control, provide a water dish, some dried cat food, and a shelter. You can buy shelters on Amazon, but in our case we have a barn that they can stay in, although they seem to prefer the utility trailer. If you want to put cats up for adoption, there are "no-kill" shelters that would take them in. Domestic cats tend to not survive any further out than the suburbs, due to the coyote population expanding.

A large, hungry cat can attack and kill small poultry. You need to keep them confined to a run for safety.

Hi Maizie - "Barn Cats" is just a label for stray cats that start hanging around your place. If you want to get them interested in helping you out i rodent control, provide a water dish, some dried cat food, and a shelter. You can buy shelters on Amazon, but in our case we have a barn that they can stay in, although they seem to prefer the utility trailer. If you want to put cats up for adoption, there are "no-kill" shelters that would take them in. Domestic cats tend to not survive any further out than the suburbs, due to the coyote population expanding.

A large, hungry cat can attack and kill small poultry. You need to keep them confined to a run for safety.
I have stray cats that come by and live in the country. I think they are someone else's barn cats. But, I guess my question with that was will the shelter adopt out a cat knowing it would be a barn cat.

Thanks for the insight with the small poultry. I've only had the polish for 2 months now - not sure if they grow much more.

I don’t honestly think much can be done. A good outdoor cat or door is cat if they are a known mouser. We’ve had some animals that are great at it and some are useless. We have one cat that will take creatures as big as 5 or 6 pounds. I know a few people on here shoot rats with a pellet gun but I don’t have that kind of patience and I doubt I’d be accurate enough. I think some people also set up bucket traps outside.
As far as rats and mice, think "Rodent Tidal Wave". Until after the second hard frost. So, like August thru January. Its awful.
"Hi, Sticky Trap company? Yeah, do you take custom orders? I need several ROLLS of sticky rat trap paper six feet wide by 200 feet long...... " :lau
Even the tree rats (squirrels) are out of control here because they have no predators.

I have 3 cats. Max, Crazy, and Sweetheart. Max is worthless for rodents. But the other 2 are straight up rodent eliminators. Sweetheart has a belly full of kittens right now. Hopefully a few of them will turn out to be as good as she is

We have an adult peacock and some peahens that are free to roam. They hang around the coop, hen house and feed storage area..
We don't have much of any smaller pest problems. (rats, mice, snakes, feral cats, frogs... etc)

Back
Top Bottom