Official BYC Poll: How Do You Keep Your Chickens Cool In Summer?

How Do You Keep Your Chickens Cool In Summer?

• Their run is in a shaded area

Votes: 252 61.3%
  • I put a shade cloth/heat resistant tarp over their run

Votes: 127 30.9%
  • I've installed a misting system

Votes: 48 11.7%
  • I provide plenty of fresh cool water

Votes: 336 81.8%
  • They have a fan in their coop

Votes: 102 24.8%
  • I put out shallow pans with water/ice for them to stand/sit in

Votes: 131 31.9%
  • I feed them frozen fruits & veggies often

Votes: 150 36.5%
  • Their coop is well ventilated

Votes: 255 62.0%
  • I lightly wet the sand in their run

Votes: 66 16.1%
  • My chickens are heat tolerant

Votes: 85 20.7%
  • I have a roof over their run

Votes: 166 40.4%
  • I have lots of trees and bushes for them to sit under

Votes: 200 48.7%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 41 10.0%

• Total voters
Pics
What summer. :hit :idunno:bowWe had the coldest and wettest spring here in Europe since 50 years or so.
Please give us a little sunshine if tou have too much!

But if summer hits us, its never a big problem as long as they get fresh water twice a day, plenty of natural shade from bushes and an extremely airy coop, if I remove the lower wood panel and the glass panel.
Edit: mistakes

Last edited:
I give my ladies a homemade chicken re-hydration solution made of water with a little salt, sugar and baking soda. On really hot days, they get watermellon straight from the fridge. They know what the plates mean when I come out with them! They also have a few large bushes free-ranging in the yard, and one gigantic English laurel bush that has DEEP shade with cool dirt to hang out under. I'm building a new coop & run and plan to include water misters and a blackberry bush to grow up part of the over the hoop coop & run. They'll have deep sand bedding and DE to dust-bathe in. I may plant some small bushes inside the run and the coop & run will be covered with shade-cloth and heavy corrugated roofing panels.

I clicked on 7 options in that poll, as they fit. For my set-up, it's cover in the run, both from a roof and from weed trees and actual trees. Also, in the coop at night, we have the fans on. Actually, once the night time temps get up to the mid 70's and stay there, we keep the coop fans on all summer long. My coop is also large (24x24x20), so there's lots of room for air flow.
For reference, I'm in SE Texas. Summers are a complete and total sauna.

When my back door is left open my two ladies Buffy and Molly just walk right in and free range over to the air conditioner because free range in their mind has no boundaries when it means keeping cool.

Attachments

• IMG_0457.JPG
    IMG_0457.JPG
    576.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0987.JPG
    IMG_0987.JPG
    228 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom