Official BYC Poll: How Do You Keep Your Coop Smelling Fresh?

How Do You Keep Your Coop Smelling Fresh?

• I keep things as dry as possible inside the coop

Votes: 265 65.9%
  • I use lime on my coop floors

Votes: 38 9.5%
  • I've installed a box fan for air circulation

Votes: 38 9.5%
  • I hang fragrant herbs such as basil, mint, lavender, etc around the coop

Votes: 57 14.2%
  • I regularly clean out anything that is soiled or moist

Votes: 230 57.2%
  • My coop is well-ventilated

Votes: 251 62.4%
  • I use Sweet PDZ Coop Refresher in the coop

Votes: 96 23.9%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 57 14.2%

• Total voters
Pics
I have poop boards installed under the roosts. The boards are scraped daily. A dry, well ventilated coop is essential for proper chicken health and keeping the coop fresh.:yesss:

A thin layer of Sweet PDZ on the poop boards, poop boards scooped daily, hemp bedding on the coop floor, hemp bedding changed out annually, 22 sq ft of year round ventilation with an additional 22 sq ft opened up for warm weather ventilation and probably most significantly, a predator proof run attached to the coop where the pop door is never closed where the chickens immediately retreat to when coming off the roost.
The run is covered with wood chips that get raked about every other month to even them out and everything cold composts in there. I've never removed material from the run. My brother-in-law commented when he entered the coop for the first time "I can't believe it doesn't smell in here."
View attachment 2714072
View attachment 2714080
I have a run very similar to yours. I do clean it out occasionally because I worry it will get too deep in there. My problem is the dust. What do you do to keep the dust down?

My problem is the dust. What do you do to keep the dust down?

The chickens themselves generate much of the dust in the coop and run. Feather dander is pervasive stuff (you would be totally shocked at how much dust one cockatiel can create, much less one chicken).

I find that coarse-flake shavings are *generally* less dusty than fine-flake shavings, but for me the biggest thing with dust is to have excellent ventilation carrying the dust away and keeping the air clear.

I have a run very similar to yours. I do clean it out occasionally because I worry it will get too deep in there. My problem is the dust. What do you do to keep the dust down?
When I dump their waterer, I sprinkle it around in there. They spend most of their time out in the pen unless it's raining hard or snow is on the ground.

A thin layer of Sweet PDZ on the poop boards, poop boards scooped daily, hemp bedding on the coop floor, hemp bedding changed out annually, 22 sq ft of year round ventilation with an additional 22 sq ft opened up for warm weather ventilation and probably most significantly, a predator proof run attached to the coop where the pop door is never closed where the chickens immediately retreat to when coming off the roost.
The run is covered with wood chips that get raked about every other month to even them out and everything cold composts in there. I've never removed material from the run. My brother-in-law commented when he entered the coop for the first time "I can't believe it doesn't smell in here."
View attachment 2714072
View attachment 2714080
Poop board with Sweet PDZ is the best!!

In the spring, summer, and fall, the coop is a chicken tractor that is moved daily--so fresh grass underfoot, and never any smells. In the winter, it is parked in the vegetable garden with and electronet fence keeping them in the garden space (about 100 X 100 feet), and I toss in a bit more straw when the poo under their roosts starts piling up. But the whole front is open, and only the back half totally enclosed (on the north) so tons of ventilation. It was fine for them except for the few days when it got down to -16F (very unusual weather, and the two roosters got a little bit of frostbite on their combs). But no smell at all.
IMG_2352.jpeg

Last edited:
One thing any chicken keeper will tell you is that chickens can get messy and keeping the coop clean(ish) and odor-free can be a challenge. So please share with us: How Do You Keep Your Coop Smelling Fresh and odors under control?

Please place your vote above, and please elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other".

View attachment 2714044

Further Reading:

Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!...
My mobile coop has a 1 inch hardware cloth floor. I keep a small whisk broom hanging on the coop and sweep any droppings that don’t fall through on their own.

I have a 5x8 house occupied by 10 chickens who use it only to roost & lay. Twice daily I clean the litter bin and spray the bin and bin area with bleach. In the south and with excess ventilation there is no lingering bleach odor. Neighbors are close but in 8 years have never complained. Once or twice a year - as needed - I give the bin and entire house a hosing with tide to clean dust, and cobwebs. All 10 chickens are healthy with no respiratory issues.

Back
Top Bottom