Official BYC Poll: How Do You Keep Your Coop Smelling Fresh?

How Do You Keep Your Coop Smelling Fresh?

• I keep things as dry as possible inside the coop

Votes: 265 65.9%
  • I use lime on my coop floors

Votes: 38 9.5%
  • I've installed a box fan for air circulation

Votes: 38 9.5%
  • I hang fragrant herbs such as basil, mint, lavender, etc around the coop

Votes: 57 14.2%
  • I regularly clean out anything that is soiled or moist

Votes: 230 57.2%
  • My coop is well-ventilated

Votes: 251 62.4%
  • I use Sweet PDZ Coop Refresher in the coop

Votes: 96 23.9%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 57 14.2%

• Total voters
Pics
I remove and replace shavings in my raised coops weekly or biweekly depending on number of chickens.
My hens roost near the people door so poop is easy for me to remove between cleanings.
20210212_172620_resized.jpg

My coops are well ventilated and I keep feed and water inside.
The water fount is next to the people door for easy access and to remove wet shavings if needed.
20200825_193001_resized.jpg

GC

Resist chicken math! Make sure all of your birds have as much space as possible in the coop and run 24-7. I also use a dropping pit-type roost that I built out of two by fours spaced 1-2 in apart. Most of the night-time manure falls below. On the outside I built a trap door where I can scrape it out daily or every few days and throw it on the compost pile. I find very little, if any, manure in the bedding itself. And of course good ventilation.

One thing any chicken keeper will tell you is that chickens can get messy and keeping the coop clean(ish) and odor-free can be a challenge. So please share with us: How Do You Keep Your Coop Smelling Fresh and odors under control?

Please place your vote above, and please elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other".

View attachment 2714044

Further Reading:

Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!...
I use sand! No need for special deodorizers, I also clean it every day, and several times after I will scoop if there’s the need. Sand in the coop, and the run. Coop is in the run.

Attachments

• 555D7988-73E8-4CA8-9B0E-4E7A2989A0D1.jpeg
    555D7988-73E8-4CA8-9B0E-4E7A2989A0D1.jpeg
    912.4 KB · Views: 20
X3

-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.
-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.
-Pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.
- My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.
-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).

There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.

That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 7 years.
where do you find RCW.

I love my odor-free coop! I have mint and lavender growing around the perimeter, so the outside smells nice. For inside, I use hemp litter and stir it up every day. I add more hemp, just a couple of cups at a time, about every two weeks, or so. It still doesn’t stink then, but it seems to keep ahead of any smells. I love hearing all of these ideas. Thanks, guys!

I have just checked with Spalding Labs who make all sorts of fly control products-Fly Predators being their biggest, most wonderful product. They have a spray called Bye Bye Odor which smells lovely and is officially safe to use in chicken coops. So when you clean the poo boards, spray a little Bye Bye Odor around on the boards then put a sprinkling of shavings on and your coop will smell fresh and clean. This stuff also keeps flies at bay. spalding-labs.com

One thing any chicken keeper will tell you is that chickens can get messy and keeping the coop clean(ish) and odor-free can be a challenge. So please share with us: How Do You Keep Your Coop Smelling Fresh and odors under control?

Please place your vote above, and please elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other".

View attachment 2714044

Further Reading:

Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!...

Back
Top Bottom