Official BYC Poll: How do you keep your flock warm in the winter?

How do you keep your flock warm in the winter?

• I've Insulated Their Coop

Votes: 79 26.3%
  • I use the Deep Litter Method

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • I use Heat Lamps

Votes: 24 8.0%
  • I provide lots of draft-free ventilation

Votes: 146 48.7%
  • I use Sweeter Heaters

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • I use Plate Heaters

Votes: 12 4.0%
  • Nothing, their feathers keep them warm

Votes: 166 55.3%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 35 11.7%

• Total voters
Pics
This thread 🧵 would be really helpful if people say how cold it gets where they live. IMO.

Where i live it doesn’t get colder as -10 C in winter (max -15 C) and my flock doesn't need any extra warmth or an insulated coop.
Insulation would be a hazard in summer because if any red mites get in the coop it would be impossible to get them out again.
It would also be helpful if people included both F and C temps. Where we live, it seldom gets down to the teens F, and only for a few hours in the early morning, usually not for many days in a row. This would be minus a couple degrees C, I think. Am using DH's phone and can not at the moment open a new tab to look it up, sorry!

We do not really make any attempt to keep the girls warm. Our normal winter temps are below freezing (32F/0C) . We have a few days a year that get below 0F. No heat in the coop.
We do try to limit the wicked winter winds. And of course we need to keep the water liquid. A couple weeks ago, I did a short article on our winter preparations. If you have a minute, please let me know what you think. Preparing the girls for winter

This is typed on a rainy day where our temps could reach 60F. I bet that won't last long.

This thread 🧵 would be really helpful if people say how cold it gets where they live. IMO.
Or at least add their locations to their profiles.
1606142849843.png

It would also be nice if the off topic chatters took their discussions somewhere else.

I use pretty much nothing. Just straw on the floor, & nesting boxes for bedding.

I just add a cup, or 2 of corn to their feeders to put a little extra fat on them. It seems to give them extra warmth internally.

It can get to -20°F here.

Ours are now in my Grandkids sturdy old (plastic) garden playhouse plenty of room, seems warmer inside, sturdy, easy clean and easy to spray should mites appear.
Existing girls are fine and coping with the colder nights and days (luckily coming out of their moults at just the right time) but the remaining battery/rescue Lowman Brown has been sulking, hardly eating but drinking plenty, and I was dreading she was in danger of just fading away until we brought her inside today. She's had a long warm cuddle (big softies here) then warm water and honey mix by syringe and within 5mins she was eating layers mash followed later by our treat mix of black sunflowers, wild bird seed, mealworms etc ! Totally different bird to the last couple of days.........
Anyone else had this problem please ? Obviously she's come from being 100% inside (farmer insists he lets them roam but judging by the reaction to sunshine, grass and seeing our kicking and digging I'm not convinced), plus with almost 24hr light to force extra laying, and heat lamps so our real weather will be a shock I presume ? Have had her almost 7wks so had hoped she would have acclimatised ??
Ideas/suggestions would be much appreciated please !

Winters aren't very harsh here. On one occasion we had a snowstorm come in, and we had the chickens in a large dog crate in the garage ( we had only three pullets at the time)
Other than that, they have a shaded area where snow can't get, and on cold nights we put a couple hot water bottles in, but they seem to do just fine on their own.

I just have a good coop with good cross ventilation.
Both sections of my coop are also raised off the ground so that helps.
The winters in South Carolina don't normally get too brutal though, there might be a few weeks of teens in the mornings but rarely do we see days where it stays below freezing all day.:)
obsessed with your signature

Back
Top Bottom