Official BYC Poll: How do you name your pet chickens?

How do you name your pet chickens?

• We don’t name our chickens!

Votes: 33 7.1%
  • We let the kids name them.

Votes: 77 16.6%
  • We give them old-fashioned names (Flora, Prissy, Hazel, etc.).

Votes: 83 17.8%
  • We start their names with the same letter (Bailey, Barb, Beatrice, etc.).

Votes: 13 2.8%
  • We name them by personality (Sassy, Gabby, Bossy, etc.).

Votes: 114 24.5%
  • We name them after food (Peanut, Nugget, etc.).

Votes: 80 17.2%
  • We don’t have a special system.

Votes: 164 35.3%
  • We name them by appearance (Red, Fluffy, Lavender, etc.).

Votes: 148 31.8%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 153 32.9%

• Total voters
Pics
I don’t really have a set system, it’s mostly whatever comes to me at the time. Though, sometimes I do have a certain naming pattern. I have four blue chickens that came from the same hatchery with names starting with a “B” ( Blueberry, Beatrix, Bluey, & Babs ) but that’s about it.

We named some of ours based on flower names, Poppy, Marigold, Pansy, Tiger Lily, some based on their color, Nutmeg, Velvet, and Magpie, the others based on egg color, Emerald who is our olive egger and the last one we named Gracie because the other chicks tried to kill her when they were all babies and by the Grace of God she is still with us although she should be named Audrey Hepburn because she looks like Eliza Doolittle....as seen below!!
5D304633-265B-4FB5-96B4-14DBB2F48277.jpeg

Attachments

• F54401F3-8EA0-41B8-BB92-E6BEAEEE4A75.jpeg
    F54401F3-8EA0-41B8-BB92-E6BEAEEE4A75.jpeg
    327.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I look through the obits in our newspaper for those old-timey, country-names, or maybe something I've heard, or from movies. Bertha, my 8 y.o. OE. Vashti (from the movie "Giant") my 7 y.o. Dominique. Celeste is my 4 y.o. BA.

I've had Henrietta, Betty & Wilma (Flintstones), Esmeralda (from "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"), Jolene (was my hen best buddy), Agnes, Ruby, LaVenia Lewis (some singer I heard long ago in a roadside ice house), Beatrice, Mildred, and special-needs hen, Fay.

I keep a running list of possible chicken names.

I have at one point or another used almost every option in the poll for naming my birds. 🤣

I'm particularly fond of old-fashioned names for my girls so a lot of them have those sorts of names.

I have a rooster named Roscoe and all of his offspring have R-names like him.

I've named them by personality or behavior, either fittingly or jokingly.

I've named only a few after food, but the group I let my friends name has a few food names in it, too.

I've named some after appearance as well, like my Dandelion, who was a little yellowish chick and turned into a round, fuzzy, white hen, like how a dandelion flower transforms over its lifespan.

For 'other,' as mentioned, I let a group of friends name a couple batches of chicks. I've made lists of names to try out and let the birds, themselves, pick based on how they reacted to the sound or how well they seemed suited to a name. I also have themes for some groups of broodmates, named as a group after things like flowers, stars, game show hosts, characters from a book, 'tough guy' sounding names, etc. Most recently, I themed the names of my Barred Rock bantam pullets after significant locations along the route where the car broke down on the way home with them, to memorialize the longest day of my life this year. 🤣 I have too many birds to have a cohesive theme overall, but each and every one of them is named or will be named, so there's just lots and lots and lots of names. 😁

Last edited:
I have a blue wyandotte named Pidge cause she looks like a pigeon but I have Goldy.and Kate named after Goldie Hawn and daughter Kate Hudson Merri and Pip ( Lord of the Rings) Buffy Willow and Cordelia (Buffy the vampire Slayer) three that all look alike named the Rubies my next two I get in spring I plan on calling Lucy and Ethel

When I had a larger flock (40+) it was almost impossible to name them all, so I only named my favorites or ones that clearly stood out. But when I had small flocks less than 10 (like I do currently) I generally name them after people or film characters depending on their personality/vibe or color. For example, my girls are:
Aurora (Porcelain D'uccle)
Maleficent (Mille Fleur D'uccle)
Cruella (Mottled Cochin bantam)
Regina (Green Queen EE Bantam named after a character on Once Upon a Time)
Rosalìa (EE bantam, after Spanish singer)
Isabella (EE bantam, I might change her name but she's a pretty blue/silver penciled color)
Mary Margaret/Mulan/Silkie (Paint Silkie, that we can't decide on a name...I like Mary Margaret bc of the OUAT show and how that character was not necessarily pure hearted LOL. Paint is not pure white so 🤷‍♂️)
Luna (silkied Serama, named after Luna Lovegood in Harry Potter)
Sweetie (smooth Serama, just bc she's a sweetheart)
Bindi (silkied Serama, named after Bindi Irwin).

I once named my favorite hen Mary Poopins, but she since passed long ago🥺

Personality.
There's Big Red, the smallest of the bunch. There's the golden comet, Captain Fluffy. There's the Black Ostralorpe? Midnight, and then there's the, not sure what she is, who I call shadow because she's real skittish, scared of her own shadow. These are the primary names, but when they get into my garden and eat my squash off the vine, then we have nugget, and we have sammich, and we have dumpling and pot pie.

Aaron
Love it

When I had a larger flock (40+) it was almost impossible to name them all, so I only named my favorites or ones that clearly stood out. But when I had small flocks less than 10 (like I do currently) I generally name them after people or film characters depending on their personality/vibe or color. For example, my girls are:
Aurora (Porcelain D'uccle)
Maleficent (Mille Fleur D'uccle)
Cruella (Mottled Cochin bantam)
Regina (Green Queen EE Bantam named after a character on Once Upon a Time)
Rosalìa (EE bantam, after Spanish singer)
Isabella (EE bantam, I might change her name but she's a pretty blue/silver penciled color)
Mary Margaret/Mulan/Silkie (Paint Silkie, that we can't decide on a name...I like Mary Margaret bc of the OUAT show and how that character was not necessarily pure hearted LOL. Paint is not pure white so 🤷‍♂️)
Luna (silkied Serama, named after Luna Lovegood in Harry Potter)
Sweetie (smooth Serama, just bc she's a sweetheart)
Bindi (silkied Serama, named after Bindi Irwin).

I once named my favorite hen Mary Poopins, but she since passed long ago🥺
I love the name Mary Poopins I might have to steal that name in the future thanks!

My chickens got their names for a combination of appearance and personality: Chungus, Buddy, Dimple, Cuddles, Brownie, and Dingus. All of the names still feel pretty spot on for how they've turned out except for Brownie, who initially had dark brown striped wings and tail feathers. She kept that chocolatey color long enough to learn her name, and she's now easily my lightest bird with a lot of white flecks in her body feathers and the rest more of a cream to butterscotch color lol. So I'm going to retroactively say she's named for the folklore Brownie that's a mischievous house fairy sort of thing, since she fooled me good.

Back
Top Bottom