Official BYC Poll: How do you name your pet chickens?

How do you name your pet chickens?

• We don’t name our chickens!

Votes: 33 7.2%
  • We let the kids name them.

Votes: 77 16.8%
  • We give them old-fashioned names (Flora, Prissy, Hazel, etc.).

Votes: 81 17.7%
  • We start their names with the same letter (Bailey, Barb, Beatrice, etc.).

Votes: 11 2.4%
  • We name them by personality (Sassy, Gabby, Bossy, etc.).

Votes: 112 24.5%
  • We name them after food (Peanut, Nugget, etc.).

Votes: 78 17.1%
  • We don’t have a special system.

Votes: 162 35.4%
  • We name them by appearance (Red, Fluffy, Lavender, etc.).

Votes: 145 31.7%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 150 32.8%

• Total voters
Pics
We’ve got 5 chooks. We’ve only named one after the lady we got them from. She’s an Australorp x New Hampshire while the other 4 are all ISA browns. We name our ducks though because they are a bit different looking. We’ve got Onsie, Pilly, Soot, Alex, Huey, Duey, Louie and Tilly. The only ones that look the same are Huey, Duey and Louie. Those are only young but once we sort out if they’re boys or girls the boys are going so it won’t be as difficult to tell.

I just name them by their personality and what suits them lol. I have chickens named after food, (Pancake, Pretzel, Cupcake, Sprinkles, Cinnamon), named after a flower (Daisy), one named Curious chicken, one is named Chabo, he's a japanese bantam and Chabo is the japanese word for bantam, and 2 of my roosters are named Peck and Scratch, one is named Goldie after a baseball player, one is named Ringo after the beatle, and some of them just have random names like Speckle, Champion, and Princess.
I forgot, I also have one named Rebel bc she used to roost on top of the coop EVERY NIGHT

I love giving our chickens old fashioned names. Unfortunately the kids like naming them too. So we end up with chickens named "Pretty Feet" and "Lay Down Chicken" 😭
A friend of mine had a cat named Spoony because she told her three kids they could each choose a name and she would select one from among their selections. They put their heads together and came to her with their offerings: Knifey, Forky, and Spoony. 😂

A friend of mine had a cat named Spoony because she told her three kids they could each choose a name and she would select one from among their selections. They put their heads together and came to her with their offerings: Knifey, Forky, and Spoony. 😂
Goodness, I just spit my milk out everywhere. That's hilarious. :lau

I usually name my chickens based on gut feelings, memories, looks, traits, personalities and/or inspiration. Back when I had started with chickens, I only named the rooster - naming the hens came several years later. If I look up all the names I've given my chickens over time, I have:

Roosters:
- Plumeau ('feather duster' in french, in memory of his colorful plumage that stayed impeccable despite his love for dust baths. My first ever rooster, and the very charming mutt that is responsible for my chicken addiction, RIP my boi)
- Flocon ('snowflake' in french, named for his freckled plumage, son of Plumeau)
- Pluton (named for his freckled plumage and after planet Pluto, son of Plumeau)
- Arceau (white Leghorn mutt who carried himself with pride, hence the 'arc' of his name; son of Plumeau)
- Barbu ('bearded' in french, my first Ameraucana rooster; he had an impressive beard.)
- Teacher (CCL rooster, named such in memory of when I had to learn how to set his splayed legs back when he was a chick; RIP my darling)
- Piccolo (Freckled blue wheaten EE cockerel, whose unusual plumage made me think I had a boy on my hands, when he was actually a girl. I later renamed her Sally.)
- Silver (Born with vitamin deficiencies, I hand-fed him for the first week of his life and developed a special bond with him. Splash Ameraucana cockerel that doesn't crow, soft-tempered, was given to a friend; I visit him whenever I pass by to spoil him silly.)

Hens:
- Coca and Cola (White Leghorn sisters I could only tell apart by their combs, which fell in opposite directions)
- Mouche ('Bug' in french, in honor of her freckled plumage that made me think she had bugs all over her coat. White Chantecler x barred Plymouth cross.)
- Diva (named for the regal way she held herself. She holds the record of most beautiful mutt lady in my coop.)
- Carmen Trompette (Carmen 'Trumpet' in french; Carmen came up as a gut instinct and her vocalizations sounded like musical trumpeting. White Chantecler x commercial red hen cross.)
- Missy (My barred Plymouth with 'missy' airs)
- Duchess (Grumpy CCL girl that carries herself like she's important, despite being bottom of the pack)
- Lucy (sister to Duchess, CCL, alot more fair-tempered but with zero tolerance for chicken nonsense; I named her Lucy because she reminded me of the only Lucy I knew, a woman with zero tolerance for human nonsense.)
- Bouboule (Boule = ball in french; named after my best friend's fluffball cat, because my Welsumer looks like a featherball whenever she ambles around my feet.)
- Buffy (Sussex cross (Light Sussex x commercial red hen) named after her Buff plumage, and also for being a 'buff' mama hen, a quebecan reference to someone displaying strength/showing others who's boss. She made the top hen regret threatening her chicks, that Buffy.)
- Esmeralda (Black EE that's calm, collected and an avid explorer; for some reason she kept making me think of Esmeralda in The Hunchback of Notre-Dame, so I named her such.)
- Sally (Esmeralda's bratty little sister, possible granddaugther of plumeau, named for her messy drinking which utterly soils her beard. 'Sally', a french human name, has the same vocal sounds as the french word 'salie' which means 'soiled' in english.)
- Evana (Silver's big sister, both by birth and in body size. A wild Black Ameraucana hen that flees human contact. She grew so quickly as a chick that I was convinced she was a boy until she laid an egg, hence my adding an 'a' to the name 'Evan', which I always found quite imposing for a male name.)

For some reason I cannot understand, all my girls answer to 'allez les filles' (come on girls) instead of their personal names when I call them over for snacks...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom