Official BYC Poll: How do you name your pet chickens?

How do you name your pet chickens?

• We don’t name our chickens!

Votes: 33 7.2%
  • We let the kids name them.

Votes: 77 16.8%
  • We give them old-fashioned names (Flora, Prissy, Hazel, etc.).

Votes: 81 17.7%
  • We start their names with the same letter (Bailey, Barb, Beatrice, etc.).

Votes: 11 2.4%
  • We name them by personality (Sassy, Gabby, Bossy, etc.).

Votes: 112 24.5%
  • We name them after food (Peanut, Nugget, etc.).

Votes: 78 17.1%
  • We don’t have a special system.

Votes: 162 35.4%
  • We name them by appearance (Red, Fluffy, Lavender, etc.).

Votes: 145 31.7%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 150 32.8%

• Total voters
Pics
It is extremely rewarding to name your chickens, transforming them from just egg-laying machines to house pets.

Despite the fact that there is no shortage of human names, you might want to give your chickens a more creative name. As with people, each chicken has their own unique personality. Chickens also have fine memories. Whenever you call out their names, they will come running, particularly if it is because food is in sight.

So we would like to find out: How do you name your pet chickens?

Place your vote above, and please elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other". And feel free to share your chickens' names with us as well.

View attachment 2866706

(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)
We have a combination of ways we name our girls, but we have tried to stick with flower and rock/gemstone names: Marigold, Daisy, Opal, Emerald, Poppy. But my kids have been involved too, so we have a Fuzzbert, a Bluey and Bingo, and Mr. Dinkles. 😂

Not all my chickens, ducks or guineas get names. A hen might get a name if she has a physical difference from all the others or attitude. Boss Lady was an Amberlink hen that took charge as a chick, bossing the others including the 2 males. She continued until her death to boss everyone. Some of the named were bantams, my first 18 chickens. There was Little One, a crossbeak tiny Showgirl hen. She passed at age 4. Big Boy was a white Silkie rooster with an awful crow and very short legs. Blue was a blue Silkie rooster (my favorite). We had Red Girl, Gray Girl, Blackie (hen) and Dark One a mixed Silkie rooster with a bad attitude. Chi was a friendly Japanese bantam mixed rooster with a very loud high pitch crow. Later we started raising standards, Boss Lady was one of my first 16 all bought by my one son pre-Mother's Day.

Now, mainly I name the roosters. I have 8 of them currently. Big Red (oldest) RIR (4 1/2), Cuckoo a Cuckoo Marans (3 1/2), Baby Boy an Amberlink/black Australorp mix (hatched by a Showgirl hen) (3 1/2), Bram a buff Brahma (2), Duece an Easter Egger (gorgeous) (13 mths), the twins (2 RIR gotten together) (also 13 mths) and Chevelle, a surprise is youngest at 6 months was home hatched by a hen who was supposed to be sitting only on Runner duck eggs. I believe he's Baby Boy's son, they look nearly identical.

A few of my ducks have names: Momma, Pappa and Tillie (daughter) are Runners. Trixie is very small girl, either a Mallard or Rouen (any input on which she is, is welcome). She has picked Cuckoo as her "boyfriend", she follows him everywhere bossing him. The 3 guineas don't have names.

Here's some photos of the roosters and named ducks.

Big Red (12/2020). The buff Orpington was named Buff, he passed in Feb. 2021.
20201227_141004~3.jpg

Baby Boy and Chevelle
20211005_200126.jpg

Trixie and Cuckoo
VideoCapture_20211002-222126.jpg

Bram (2020)
20200328_182226.jpg

Duece and the twins
20210824_161846.jpg

Trixie and Tillie (a few months ago)
20210730_150559.jpg

Momma and Pappa (Tillie's parents)
20210910_152330.jpg

Last edited:
It is extremely rewarding to name your chickens, transforming them from just egg-laying machines to house pets.

Despite the fact that there is no shortage of human names, you might want to give your chickens a more creative name. As with people, each chicken has their own unique personality. Chickens also have fine memories. Whenever you call out their names, they will come running, particularly if it is because food is in sight.

Place your vote above, and please elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other". And feel free to share your chickens' names with us as well.

View attachment 2866706

We only have six, and only two of the same breed, so we name them after their breeds. We have a "Buff," a "Plymouth," a "Queen," a "Jersey Girl," and one light Brahma is "Brahma," with the other named "Fluff."

I have several ways to name my chickens. I've named some after a relative (Lillian, Steeve, and Marilyn) a favorite friend (Thela), favorite food (Cookie, Sassafrass aka Sassy) the breed (Lacie for a silver laced Wyandotte), plus a nod to the Lord (Faith and Grace).

Named mine after the golden girls. Dottie, Blanche, Sophie. Unfortunately, Rosie is a rooster. Some of the others are named after how they look. Goldie the duck is now white, Matilda is now a drake and so is Cocoa duck. They all respond to their names. Mostly they come running from the yard when I call chook, chook. Then I have to call the individual ones if they don't all come. So yes chickens and ducks do respond to names like other animals.

View attachment 2866706

I name them often based on appearance or mannerisms for instance I have a big black Brahma called Maui (He's a Demi-God!) and a female called Moana, a blue Andalusian hen called Falcon as she likes to rest on your arm like a falcon. But then I named my Araucana's Isadora and Catalina as I wanted Spanish names for them ;)

View attachment 2866706

I think of multiple names and when the chickens start getting their feathers, I figure out which name seems to fit them best. My chickens are definitely my pets, so I can tell who is who which suprises people a lot because my older girls all look similar. My current names are Amber, Honey, Ruby, Georgia, Peaches, Mango, Napoleon, and Bear.

Back
Top Bottom