Official BYC Poll: How Do You Protect Your Chickens From Predators?

How Do You Protect Your Chickens From Predators?

• I have a cement floor so they can't dig from underneath

Votes: 68 10.5%
  • Their coop is raised off the ground

Votes: 287 44.4%
  • Their run is covered

Votes: 405 62.6%
  • I have secure latches on all doors, including nest boxes.

Votes: 415 64.1%
  • They are fenced in with hardware cloth

Votes: 356 55.0%
  • I have bushes and other hiding places for my chickens to hide under during the day

Votes: 278 43.0%
  • I have one or more roosters on guard

Votes: 298 46.1%
  • I've installed an electric fence around my perimeter

Votes: 71 11.0%
  • I have a motion-activated light near the coop

Votes: 159 24.6%
  • I have a game cam installed

Votes: 102 15.8%
  • I have a properly trained guard dog

Votes: 85 13.1%
  • Predators aren't much of a problem around my area

Votes: 82 12.7%
  • I hang CD's and other shiny objects around to deter aerial predators

Votes: 46 7.1%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 108 16.7%

• Total voters
I use a combination of hardware cloth, electric fencing, LGD. That said, something (thinking fox) managed to dig under my wooden apron on the greenhouse and killed almost everything inside. Thankfully, my hollands are in a different more secure coop. The greenhouse had proven to be secure over four years.

I always keep roosters around, since they normally scare the hawks.
I bought that predator tape off amazon, that also helps deter many predators (also small ones)

I don't free range my birds since predators are a huge problem where I am. They have sheets of aluminum that go 1 foot into the ground (to deter digging predators), hardware cloth, locking doors, an electric fence around the coops, every latching good has a clip (so raccoons can't flip up the latch) etc.

I have ducks with my chickens so they have a 24 hr access run (hardware cloth bottom to top, it’s got a 2 foot dig skirt, and it’s covered with hardware cloth). During the day I let them free range but have flags, CDs, and wind chimes and a radio hidden inside the coop playing AP radio news to deter ground and air predators... I’m trying all these methods after losing 1 of my girls to a coyote and because we do have hawks, bobcats, and 1 confirmed male Ocelot in my area 😅
7EE6BE6A-5E68-4491-B76C-15A45CAA9489.png

I use a game cam (for both keeping guard and for watching wildlife sometimes), a covered run (with Hardware cloth) and latches. Gonna have all that stuff updated when I build my new duck coop and run next week

I have ducks with my chickens so they have a 24 hr access run (hardware cloth bottom to top, it’s got a 2 foot dig skirt, and it’s covered with hardware cloth). During the day I let them free range but have flags, CDs, and wind chimes and a radio hidden inside the coop playing AP radio news to deter ground and air predators... I’m trying all these methods after losing 1 of my girls to a coyote and because we do have hawks, bobcats, and 1 confirmed male Ocelot in my area 😅View attachment 2520405
There's jaguars in Arazona?

Back
Top Bottom