Official BYC Poll: How Do You Protect Your Chickens From Predators?

How Do You Protect Your Chickens From Predators?

• I have a cement floor so they can't dig from underneath

Votes: 67 10.5%
  • Their coop is raised off the ground

Votes: 282 44.0%
  • Their run is covered

Votes: 403 62.9%
  • I have secure latches on all doors, including nest boxes.

Votes: 411 64.1%
  • They are fenced in with hardware cloth

Votes: 354 55.2%
  • I have bushes and other hiding places for my chickens to hide under during the day

Votes: 275 42.9%
  • I have one or more roosters on guard

Votes: 297 46.3%
  • I've installed an electric fence around my perimeter

Votes: 70 10.9%
  • I have a motion-activated light near the coop

Votes: 157 24.5%
  • I have a game cam installed

Votes: 99 15.4%
  • I have a properly trained guard dog

Votes: 84 13.1%
  • Predators aren't much of a problem around my area

Votes: 79 12.3%
  • I hang CD's and other shiny objects around to deter aerial predators

Votes: 46 7.2%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 108 16.8%

• Total voters
Pics
Not all BYC members/visitors live in the US. I’m from Europe and we have way less predators here too. But we do have foxes, hawks, buzzerds, unleashed dogs and several mustelids such as polecat and pine martens. For chicks there are a lot more predators like rats, more big birds and cats.

Free ranging is possible if they free range only from after sunrise (7 h in summer) until sunset with enough hiding places and a secure coop for the night and early morning.

It must be great to have no big threats. 💕
At my place we have mountain lions and bears.

In addition to what's listed, i use welded wire kennels and coops wrapped in chicken wire for runs around my coops so that predators can't reach in and grab a bird, plant mint and use peppermint oil soaked paper towels as a rodent deterrent (raccoons are rodents) when I see them sniffing around on my game cam, spray anything with bear spray when I catch them out back and keep the runs near my bedroom window so I can hear my birds at night if they're being bothered.

Predators are one of the greatest fears a chicken farmer has. They can be cunning, fast, and very sneaky. Your chickens will be drawing in predators from the next county over! Well, maybe not that far, however somewhere back in these predators' ancient memories they have eaten wild chickens at some point and will come snooping around for a meal day and night. So keeping them safe from predators should be on every chicken keeper's top priority list.

How Do You Protect Your Chickens From Predators? Place your votes above (you may select more than one)

Feel free to share any other ways you keep your chickens safe in the comments section below.

View attachment 2517029

Further Reading:

Top 10 Chicken Predators
A Checklist To Avoiding Casualties In The Flock
Predators & Pests

(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)
I don't let them out unless I am out there. I also have a good livestock guardian dog. But I never let the hens out alone. Even if I have to run in the house, I usually have someone come out and watch while I am inside.

Where I live there are no raccoons , so I don’t need complicated latches. But we do have foxes now and then, and polecats, marters are a possible threat too (in the night). And sometimes we have birds of pray too. Mainly buzzards but I spotted a sparrow-hawk in the pear-tree near the run once too. Because my Dutch are really small this a real hazard.

I keep the chickens in a coop with much hwc and a run with strong netting and hwc (also buried in the ground). Between the coop (quit safe) and the run (less safe) I have an automatic pop door to keep the chickens safe at night.

They stay in the run most of the day and if nobody is at home. But for their health and joy i let the chickens free range too. There wings are not cut. My Duch are good in escaping to safe places. They fly easily on top of the run or over the hedge to the neighbour whenever they spot a dog.
We have had two Large killings due to foxes they are the worst! Today our LGD was inside and in the morning a fox killed 25 of my chicks (leaving me with two) and two of my duckings (leaving me with three) and one of my BEST layers. The worst part was that one of the ducklings was just laying in the yard. It had not even had a bite taken out of it. And my hen was half eaten. So our dog will now not be coming indoors unless absolutely necessary.

5’ Fence with 4 electric fence wires above it. Ground predators have quite a gauntlet to get through. Then 2 guard emus that have significantly reduced the hawk attacks. The emus kick and stomp when they see activity. One khaki Campbell didn’t make it, but a chicken survived because of them.

The main issue now are bald eagles. They are large enough to grab a bird and fly off with it. Not able to net off an acre, so will add even more cover when possible.
I’ve always wanted Emus!! Could you please tell me a little bit more about them like how much the cost and how much room they need and how hardy they are etc??? I am addicted to birds and really want to have all of them but emus are definitely one of the ones I wanted the most 😁 And do you have any pictures of them that I can see??

Our coops are close to the house and well lit at night. Between that, solid latches, the scent of our big dogs, and the coops being raised, nothing has messed with our birds. Well, except for a human who has been snatching eggs lately.

If a predator did get in (or if anything threatens during the day), my 10+ pound lavender orpington roo doesn't take too kindly to threats. I wouldn't want to tangle with him so I don't imagine a raccoon would enjoy it much either.
What breed our you dogs? We have and breed a Great Pyrenees mix

What breed is your LGD?? We have two Great Pyrenees mixes. We also breed them.
Black Mouth Cur. He's a rescue from TN and typically a hunting breed but he's a natural when it comes to protecting the hens. We were shocked. But he's really good at it. He is always watching over them. We were amazed to see him watch the sky on his own and then jump up also when a hen alerts.

Back
Top Bottom