Official BYC Poll: How Is Your Run Covered?

How Is Your Run Covered?

• With netting

Votes: 82 23.3%
  • With hardware cloth

Votes: 77 21.9%
  • With a solid roof

Votes: 131 37.2%
  • With a tarp

Votes: 60 17.0%
  • My run isn't covered

Votes: 57 16.2%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 29 8.2%

• Total voters
Pics

BYC Project Manager

BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Feb 22, 2009
For many chicken keepers free-ranging the flock is not an option, so their birds are confined to a chicken run most if not all the time. Chickens kept in coops with a run attached are easier to keep safe from predators. Chicken runs can be basic with wires strung across the top to discourage flying predators like hawks or they can be elaborate with a complete wire roof that is high enough for you to comfortably enter the run to clean.

So please share with us: How Is Your Run Covered?

Please place your vote above, and please elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other".

official byc poll (4).png

Further Reading:
Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!...

The current run is not covered. I know I have hawks in the area (which is one reason I have mostly been running toward larger breeds), but haven't yet had any issues. The run has lots of cover and hiding places. (Not all photos are current, I've been rearranging things as I integrate additions).

0602211011.jpg

0602211017a.jpg

0701211915.jpg

0712211339a_HDR.jpg

The Chicken Palace, currently in progress, will be an Open Air coop -- integrated coop and run -- with a solid roof. But I'll still use the electric net pen for additional ranging space.

I have used netting... actually fishnet, in less secure runs.

But for best security I have concrete reinforcing wire layered with chicken wire as the roof.

hredirect2.jpeg-5.jpg

I do have my standard chicken run with concretely reinforcing wire only. Some areas have the second layer of chicken wire, others do not.

I found that fishnet was not always effective against large birds of prey, AND snow always tears it down.

The concrete wire is super sturdy, so as long as fence posts/supporting structure is strong enough to hold the weight of snow, it holds up!

My run is a metal green house frame. I have chicken wire over the top. In the winter, I covered it with two heavy duty tarps. I only have one tarp on now, for more light, as the trees give a fair amount of shade.

In the next month or so, we're going to put clear polycarbonate sheets on for a roof. Then there will be plenty of light. There will be a ridge vent to allow the hot air that's rising to escape. If it does get too warm, I'll throw a tarp over part of it for shade.

Back
Top Bottom