Official BYC Poll: How Long Have You Been Raising Chickens?

How long have you been raising chickens?

• Under 6 months

Votes: 90 6.3%
  • 6 Months - 1 Year

Votes: 175 12.3%
  • 1 Year

Votes: 66 4.7%
  • 2 Years

Votes: 127 9.0%
  • 3 Years

Votes: 122 8.6%
  • 4 Years

Votes: 110 7.8%
  • 5 Years

Votes: 76 5.4%
  • 6 Years

Votes: 86 6.1%
  • 7 Years

Votes: 59 4.2%
  • 8 Years

Votes: 47 3.3%
  • 9 Years

Votes: 48 3.4%
  • 10 Years

Votes: 68 4.8%
  • 11 - 20 Years

Votes: 180 12.7%
  • 21 - 50 Years

Votes: 109 7.7%
  • 51 - 75 Years

Votes: 24 1.7%
  • 75 Years and over

Votes: 3 0.2%
  • No chickens yet, but hopefully soon!

Votes: 28 2.0%

• Total voters
Pics
I first became interested in having chickens from a deep desire to homestead, and chickens were first on my list!
I have never "taken a break," and I never intend to.
I started with a dozen RIR "pullets" from a feed store in my town. Three of them turned out to be roosters, haha!

Same here (ish) my parents got me chicks when I was little and I fell in love with them!!! My first “batch” was 2 barred rocks and one RIR. The barred rocks were named Red and Rosy and the RIR was named Chick-Chick. Yeah, I know the names weren’t my strong-suit but I was little :oops: welp now I have 15 cuties of all different breeds and sizes, all of which are hens (because we got a cute, fluffy, soft, little, adorable, tiny, silkie roo WITH THE DEVIL IN HIM and my parents never wanted another rooster again)
I’ve never taken a break from keeping chickens and probably never will besides college. Everyone I know thinks I’m crazy because I love chickens so much (I’m literally filed as “the chicken whisperer” in my dentist’s database). Sorry but I guess I’ll always be crazy then!
I get it my friends sometimes just refer to me as the bird whisperer or chicken whisperer
And my first 7 birds all had kinda bad names yours have better names than mine did

Back
Top Bottom