Official BYC Poll: How Long Have You Been Raising Chickens?

How long have you been raising chickens?

• Under 6 months

Votes: 89 6.3%
  • 6 Months - 1 Year

Votes: 175 12.4%
  • 1 Year

Votes: 66 4.7%
  • 2 Years

Votes: 127 9.0%
  • 3 Years

Votes: 122 8.6%
  • 4 Years

Votes: 110 7.8%
  • 5 Years

Votes: 76 5.4%
  • 6 Years

Votes: 86 6.1%
  • 7 Years

Votes: 59 4.2%
  • 8 Years

Votes: 47 3.3%
  • 9 Years

Votes: 48 3.4%
  • 10 Years

Votes: 68 4.8%
  • 11 - 20 Years

Votes: 180 12.7%
  • 21 - 50 Years

Votes: 108 7.6%
  • 51 - 75 Years

Votes: 24 1.7%
  • 75 Years and over

Votes: 3 0.2%
  • No chickens yet, but hopefully soon!

Votes: 28 2.0%

• Total voters
Pics
Alright so ive finally made time and i am here with my story.

I grew up in the city, hadnt ever been around chickens. No one in my immediate family had grown up with chickens except my grandmother who was a country girl but she went away to Jr college at 17.

I did not like birds. When young i was interested in my Aunts Macaw but he bit me real good on the webbing in between my fingers as i tried to hold him once and that was that.

In 2013 i was taking care of my grandma who had dementia and then had a stroke that chair bound her. During this time i had an uncle who had chickens and grandma raved about the fresh eggs. I didnt eat eggs but i noticed the difference in his duck eggs in my baking. When we lost her on Easter of 2014 it really broke me. We had always been close and i felt very much that she could've actually Lived Longer if id been given the help i had begged for.

I didnt leave my house for a month, would hardly leave my bedroom. I had always had reptiles and amphibians and i cruised CL alot where id recieved 2 fishtanks during my time with Grandma. Well i found 2 hens and a rooster for free. I had a lean to shed i thought my ex could easily convert and we decided to get them.

It actually got me outside, everyday, feeding and watering, collecting eggs and then making them more comfortable. I still dont eat chickens eggs but the ex did and he loved having them, he had them with his grandmother as a young boy.

To this day i credit those first birds with the beggining of my healing. I want to thank @aart and @ValerieJ for giving me the strength to share this with your own stories.

Of course chicken math happened and then my BYC acct came about :love addiction to hatching began and 100s of chicks i hatched in my tabletop incubators. From the start id bought a book and knew if i was going to hatch i would Have to have an outlet for all those extra boys. So i taught myself what to do and later how to do it, with that book.

I had to take a hiatus after playing with those birds but they started something that i hope never ends. My home flooded and i lost 34 of around 100 birds and then i got married and had a little one, all in three years we suddenly had made a big family. I still always kept 3 bantam hens.

The uncle called me up one day, he had 13 CX who needed someone to raise them right and do the deeds. I took them, this was about one yr since my sell off in early 2017. I rasied em up but didnt have a proper coop or anything so hurried up and put em off to freezer camp then continued my mostly hiatus.

Oct of 2018 the friend who i had sold off to wanted to sell off and give me first dibs. The littlest was about a yr old so i said ok, took on a breeding flock of blue laced red wyandottes and my same old pair of Svart Hona with a couple extra hens just because :love chickens :love

Wasnt long before i started :drool for quail again. Id had terrible stock back in the day but knew the meat was exquisite. Id enjoyed the little birds, gotten them from 5 diff peoples stock and raised 3 generations, but that was 75% of my flood losses. lost every one of em, small birds in small cages. Just like getting those nice chickens i wanted to do it right started researching quail breeders and learned James Marie Farms is only an hour away :th

Now i am an NPIP certified poultry breeder with several projects going :D i have around 60 birds that i overwintered and had 127 eggs alive in the incubator as of Tues :fl

My first birds
Screenshot_20200129-133529_Samsung Internet.jpg

First that i raised from chicks
Screenshot_20200129-133558_Samsung Internet.jpg

My egg collection about a month before the flood

Screenshot_20200129-133621_Samsung Internet.jpg

My first hatch, 21 ducklings
Screenshot_20200129-133759_Samsung Internet.jpg

My hona
Screenshot_20200129-134240_Samsung Internet.jpg

My wyandotte roo and blue hen
Screenshot_20191231-222843_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20191231-222821_Photos.jpg

Now some coturnix
Screenshot_20200129-135113_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20200129-135148_Samsung Internet.jpg

And one button :love
Screenshot_20191231-223200_Photos.jpg

I grew up in the city, hadnt ever been around chickens. No one in my immediate family had grown up with chickens except my grandmother who was a country girl but she went away to Jr college at 17.

I did not like birds. When young i was interested in my Aunts Macaw but he bit me real good on the webbing in between my fingers as i tried to hold him once and that was that.

In 2013 i was taking care of my grandma who had dementia and then had a stroke that chair bound her. During this time i had an uncle who had chickens and grandma raved about the fresh eggs. I didnt eat eggs but i noticed the difference in his duck eggs in my baking. When we lost her on Easter of 2014 it really broke me. We had always been close and i felt very much that she could've actually Lived Longer if id been given the help i had begged for.

I didnt leave my house for a month, would hardly leave my bedroom. I had always had reptiles and amphibians and i cruised CL alot where id recieved 2 fishtanks during my time with Grandma. Well i found 2 hens and a rooster for free. I had a lean to shed i thought my ex could easily convert and we decided to get them.

It actually got me outside, everyday, feeding and watering, collecting eggs and then making them more comfortable. I still dont eat chickens eggs but the ex did and he loved having them, he had them with his grandmother as a young boy.

To this day i credit those first birds with the beggining of my healing. I want to thank @aart and @ValerieJ for giving me the strength to share this with your own stories.

Of course chicken math happened and then my BYC acct came about :love addiction to hatching began and 100s of chicks i hatched in my tabletop incubators. From the start id bought a book and knew if i was going to hatch i would Have to have an outlet for all those extra boys. So i taught myself what to do and later how to do it, with that book.

I had to take a hiatus after playing with those birds but they started something that i hope never ends. My home flooded and i lost 34 of around 100 birds and then i got married and had a little one, all in three years we suddenly had made a big family. I still always kept 3 bantam hens.

The uncle called me up one day, he had 13 CX who needed someone to raise them right and do the deeds. I took them, this was about one yr since my sell off in early 2017. I rasied em up but didnt have a proper coop or anything so hurried up and put em off to freezer camp then continued my mostly hiatus.

Oct of 2018 the friend who i had sold off to wanted to sell off and give me first dibs. The littlest was about a yr old so i said ok, took on a breeding flock of blue laced red wyandottes and my same old pair of Svart Hona with a couple extra hens just because :love chickens :love

Wasnt long before i started :drool for quail again. Id had terrible stock back in the day but knew the meat was exquisite. Id enjoyed the little birds, gotten them from 5 diff peoples stock and raised 3 generations, but that was 75% of my flood losses. lost every one of em, small birds in small cages. Just like getting those nice chickens i wanted to do it right started researching quail breeders and learned James Marie Farms is only an hour away :th

Now i am an NPIP certified poultry breeder with several projects going :D i have around 60 birds that i overwintered and had 127 eggs alive in the incubator as of Tues :fl

My first birdsView attachment 2014041
View attachment 2014043

View attachment 2014044
View attachment 2014046
My hona
View attachment 2014049
View attachment 2014050

View attachment 2014051

Now some coturnix
View attachment 2014053
View attachment 2014054
View attachment 2014055
great story! :hugs

Where shall I start. The day I remember that my parents had bantam chickens? I was only 4 and didn’t take care of them. So I don’t think that counts.

Later there where birds. I got 2
parakeets for my birthday, but after a few weeks I didn't take care of them anymore and my mother was pinched. Luckily she liked it. There were also canaries. A whole aviary. And every spring I took care of the chicks with my mother. But a contagious disease came and suddenly they all died.

After the birds there were chickens again. My mothers chickens. From the age of 16, we had brown hybrids and lots of brown eggs. My mother got them from her brother who had a hatchery. The hens always disappeared in the soup after a few years and then new ones arrived. Until my mother moved to a small house with a tiny garden.

I moved out of my mothers house a long time before that. I lived in flats, and houses with a tiny garden. One day my daughter wanted a pet. She was about as old as I was when I got the parakeets. And I couldn't refuse her not to be able to take any animals at all. There was just a tiny garden and I didn't want animals in the house. Therefore my doughter chose 2 dwarf rabbits. And of course I had to take care of the animals after a few weeks. Then finally came a house with a large garden. The rabbits escaped from the run a few times. And then we had young semi-wild rabbits. One bunny was allowed to stay. After a few months we found out it was a male rabbit (I don't know the English name, google says rattle, but a toy boy would even be more accurate I suppose) .
So again we had young rabbits. The rabbit hutch and the run became crappy. Then I thought.” If the rabbits are no longer there I want to chickens.”
I bought a new larger hutch for the rabbits: A chicken coop. Intended for bantam chickens. And after the last rabbit had blown its breath, I finally bought my first chickens. Little ones. Dutch bantams. Because even for large bantam chickens the loft was still small. This was in 2014.

This first year I had my own chickens I started with 6 weeks old chicks. Had some trouble with death chicks and the seller sold me some cockerels. But despite the difficulties I really got to love 💕 my tiny chickens. So much more interaction as with the rabbits.

In January/February I finally I had 3 pullets laying small white eggs 🥚 and a cockerel was making too much noise early in the morning. In spring was my first chicken math. I needed to expand the coop for more chickens and made a walkin run to give my flock enough space.

All my girls got broody and the cockerel was rehomed. I kept the 3 pullets of this hatch. My Black Pearl (2 black) and one pyle. The cockerels where rehomed. In 2018 I bought eggs to let 2 of my girls hatch some chicks. Only 3 hatched. And the cockerel could stay until he was getting too loud too. This spring I had 2 broodies. They hatched 4 cockerels and just one pullet. I sold one mama chicken with 2 chicks and gave 2 away (cockerels) . I only kept the one pullet.
So no chicken math last year. But it's better this way. Now they have enough room to be happy chickens.

Guess how many chickens I have now.View attachment 2013597
How long did you have the rabbits ..? You seem like a very patient person :thumbsup ...

I love small chicken breeds they have a more wild look to them. Like a larger pheasant. They are good flyers and better with predators depending on what breed you get.

How long did you have the rabbits ..? You seem like a very patient person :thumbsup ...

I love small chicken breeds they have a more wild look to them. Like a larger pheasant. They are good flyers and better with predators depending on what breed you get.
We had rabbits 🐰 🐰 🐰 for approx 10 years. They were nice to have. The chickens my mother had also were nice. But not such a good company as my Dutch. So I didnt now where I was waiting for. 🐥🐥🐥🐥

In this current iteration with my wife, we have had chickens for 7 years.

What got you interested in raising chickens?

My wife kept seeing the chicks at Tractor Supply. One day she turned into a little girl and I simply could not deny her.

Did you ever "take a break" and not have chickens?
I originally started raising chickens when I was 12 for eggs and meat. I fell in love with them then. I stopped when I left home for college. It would be over 30 years until I got them again.

What breeds did you start with, how many, and do you have any pictures to share?
This time we started with 6 leghorn chicks. What wonderful ladies they were. Right now we have 3. One mix, one lavender orpington, and one easter egger.

Our current flock
VideoCapture_20200131-083744.jpg

Me with my first 2 hens, Speck and Brownie.
media-1547072910086-Nov_28_2018_3_03_PM.jpg

My first birdsView attachment 2014041
View attachment 2014043

View attachment 2014044
View attachment 2014046
My hona
View attachment 2014049
View attachment 2014050

View attachment 2014051

Now some coturnix
View attachment 2014053
View attachment 2014054
View attachment 2014055
In this current iteration with my wife, we have had chickens for 7 years.

My wife kept seeing the chicks at Tractor Supply. One day she turned into a little girl and I simply could not deny her.

I originally started raising chickens when I was 12 for eggs and meat. I fell in love with them then. I stopped when I left home for college. It would be over 30 years until I got them again.

What breeds did you start with, how many, and do you have any pictures to share?
This time we started with 6 leghorn chicks. What wonderful ladies they were. Right now we have 3. One mix, one lavender orpington, and one easter egger.

Our current flock
View attachment 2015156

Me with my first 2 hens, Speck and Brownie.
View attachment 2015157

very nice stories :) :) :)

Been almost 2 years now. I have 27 chickens now and 9 waterfowl. The chicks are Well Summers and Golden Comets. We became interested in starting a small farm and chicks are the gateway animal. So, we got some ducks. I know, why ducks? They are so messy... Yes they are but I have a problem with quack. I just love to be around them and hear them talk to each other. The chicks came a little later and we like both chicks and ducks. I favor the ducks myself and will probably tone down the # of chicks to 12 or so while increasing the Kahki Campbell ducks to around 20. The 2 African Geese are wonderful. They really keep the other ducks in line while mostly ignoring the chickens. If you dont have a couple of geese I highly suggest getting some.
We have never taken a break from raising chicks. Well, we pretty much just started this a year ago. Love the fresh eggs. Our birds free range in about 3 acres of woods and have very tasty eggs. Everyone said they would stop in the winter but I have three different age chicks cause we hatched out a few batches. So the younger ones are just starting while the older ones are laying off.

How many of our peeps are really new to raising chickens and how many are old-timers?

In addition to answering the poll, please reply with some fun details, like:

I moved in with my son and daughter-in- law two-three years ago; they had chickens. I loved them so much that I took care of them like they were my own. I don't live with my son now, but when I visit I ask about their welfare + bring them a treat; smoothie pulp, cut up vegies, etc. I would love to own my own land with room for chickens! When I am tired or anxious I listen to calming chicken sounds on YT!

Back
Top Bottom