Official BYC Poll: How Often Do You Clean Your Coop?

How often do you clean your coop?

• Every day

Votes: 272 15.3%
  • Twice or more per week

Votes: 128 7.2%
  • Once per week

Votes: 381 21.4%
  • Once per month

Votes: 222 12.5%
  • Twice per year

Votes: 230 12.9%
  • Once per year

Votes: 72 4.0%
  • Whenever it needs it

Votes: 448 25.2%
  • Never

Votes: 27 1.5%

• Total voters
Pics
My coop floor bedding only needs changing 2x per year. I use a "poop hammock" under the roosts, so I just have to pull that out and hose it off once a week. There's virtually no poop on the coop floor because of that. Feed and water are in the run, so no spills.
I really like your poop hammock, going to try to rig one up in our coop!

Since I have a one large male Pekin duck that poops 100 times a day I clean out his house daily. He also has a small coop a 3ft by 4ft dog house so after just a few hours in there he makes it quite yucky.

I clean my coop every morning and the run twice a day or whenever it needs it (I spend a lot of time outside with my girls). We are all sand, so I use a long-handled metal wok spider to scoop up the poop. All the poop goes into the poop pile to eventually be used on the lawn and pasture. Our soil is clay, so the sand helps break everything up. I’ve never had to replace the sand in the coop as I just add to it when it needs replenished and I add a few forty pound bags of Sweet PDZ every four months or so.

0BFDA1A8-9850-44D2-9179-55BE63289F7B.jpeg

I have seven hens that are 2 and 3 years old and five 6 month old Brahma pullets. I have plenty of roost space, but am going to reconfigure to lower the upper poop deck (you can see the corner in the top left) so the bigger girls aren’t tempted to jump down the four feet from the top deck. When I do that, I’ll probably just replace the roosts instead of trying to clean them.

71827DB8-65F1-4C0D-848C-3E7E8D2D9F3B.jpeg

I clean my 4 coops early each morning. What makes easy cleaning is sand. Simply scoop the poop and put it in a bucket and dispose of it. Done.
Other than building coops to withstand strong storms including cat 1 hurricanes, ease of cleaning coops was a priority. It takes me about 30 minutes to clean out coops each morning.
Please tell me what kind of sand? I'm so confused. I have read to use the sand used in kids sandboxes, I've read no, not that kind. Also, is it a good insulator. I am on Long Island in NY?

Please tell me what kind of sand? I'm so confused. I have read to use the sand used in kids sandboxes, I've read no, not that kind. Also, is it a good insulator. I am on Long Island in NY?
Yellow sand dug out of borrow pits. I buy it by the dump truck load.
Sand stays on the cool side if there's shade, hot in direct sunlight, like at a beach. I dont know if it's an insulator or not.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom