Official BYC Poll: How Often Do You Clean Your Coop?

How often do you clean your coop?

• Every day

Votes: 286 15.6%
  • Twice or more per week

Votes: 134 7.3%
  • Once per week

Votes: 390 21.2%
  • Once per month

Votes: 225 12.2%
  • Twice per year

Votes: 237 12.9%
  • Once per year

Votes: 75 4.1%
  • Whenever it needs it

Votes: 464 25.2%
  • Never

Votes: 28 1.5%

• Total voters
Pics
I usually clean my coops twice per year unless they need it earlier than that. Remove all the portable nesting boxes, use a shop vac to get the loose stuff out and dump it into my tractor front loader to dump it in a pile. Then get some rigid implement (hammer plus screwdriver, scraper, chisel, etc.) to get the hard stuff out if there is any. Plenty of new pine shavings and they're ready to "go" again!

Ok...I'm ocd and sand is my friend. When it takes less than 10 minutes to do coop and run...admittedly I scoop it on an average about 2-3 ×s a day. Hear me out!
I also am making this a daily chore for my 21 yr old autistic son who loves chickens...but mostly cuz I'm old.
I would never be able to let it go for a week or God forbid deep litter...😵‍💫
My biggest challenge is the amount of dust that sand causes in the coop.

I put a garden irrigation system into my coop and run, so I just flip on the water each morning and flush all the poop through a French drain. Works well, then every weekend I'll do the deep cleaning, sometimes running bleach through the system

I clean it more often now that I've added 75mm limestone to the flooring. Not my optimal choice and I've had to get rid of the rocks and add them to a garden bed to stop my toy poodles from digging up succulents! I think eventually I'll get a quote to add concrete flooring instead to make it easier to scoop up and keep pests to a minimum (stick fleas are a bastard where I am.)

Ok...I'm ocd and sand is my friend. When it takes less than 10 minutes to do coop and run...admittedly I scoop it on an average about 2-3 ×s a day. Hear me out!
I also am making this a daily chore for my 21 yr old autistic son who loves chickens...but mostly cuz I'm old.
I would never be able to let it go for a week or God forbid deep litter...😵‍💫
My biggest challenge is the amount of dust that sand causes in the coop.
I have sand in both coop and run. I have a small coop, that sits up on a 2 high cinder block base. I can just slightly lean over if I really stretch, I can reach all the way in, and use kitty litter scoop to scoop out the nightly mess each morning, in about 5 minutes. Weekly I do a deep clean that takes about 10 minutes. I have trays with sand on them under the roosting bar, and i pour that through a garden sieve and it gets everything.

The run, I use a kitty litter scoop and just go around and do a quick pick up of what i can see, a couple of times a day, which only takes a few minutes, and gives me a chance to interact with the girls. Weekly, I do a deeper clean with takes 30 minutes.

I too, and fairly ocd. I am also in a suburban environment, and not only do I want it clean for the girls, and me, I want to be a good neighbor.

I have sand in both coop and run. I have a small coop, that sits up on a 2 high cinder block base. I can just slightly lean over if I really stretch, I can reach all the way in, and use kitty litter scoop to scoop out the nightly mess each morning, in about 5 minutes. Weekly I do a deep clean that takes about 10 minutes. I have trays with sand on them under the roosting bar, and i pour that through a garden sieve and it gets everything.

The run, I use a kitty litter scoop and just go around and do a quick pick up of what i can see, a couple of times a day, which only takes a few minutes, and gives me a chance to interact with the girls. Weekly, I do a deeper clean with takes 30 minutes.

I too, and fairly ocd. I am also in a suburban environment, and not only do I want it clean for the girls, and me, I want to be a good neighbor.
I clean poop daily in the early AM when i let them out to free range. I use this time to inspect everything for coop vulnerabilities, watering stations, feed stations and the chickens behavior. I love when I can count all the chickens from my window when I first wake up. At least I know everyone survived the night as I make my coffee 🐓❤️

Attachments

• IMG_5409.jpeg
    IMG_5409.jpeg
    701.4 KB · Views: 6
I clean poop daily in the early AM when i let them out to free range. I use this time to inspect everything for coop vulnerabilities, watering stations, feed stations and the chickens behavior. I love when I can count all the chickens from my window when I first wake up. At least I know everyone survived the night as I make my coffee 🐓❤️
I like your ball cap, sounds like my daily routine! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom