Official BYC Poll: How Often Do You Clean Your Coop?

How often do you clean your coop?

• Every day

Votes: 284 15.5%
  • Twice or more per week

Votes: 134 7.3%
  • Once per week

Votes: 388 21.2%
  • Once per month

Votes: 225 12.3%
  • Twice per year

Votes: 237 12.9%
  • Once per year

Votes: 75 4.1%
  • Whenever it needs it

Votes: 461 25.2%
  • Never

Votes: 28 1.5%

• Total voters
Pics
I really need to start doing the same

I didn't start wearing a mask for cleanouts until last year or maybe just before that. When I saw how filthy they got over time, it made me realize just how much particulate matter I'd been breathing in.

Of course since N95s are pretty much unavailable right now you have to make do with what you have. I'm saving the last 2 N95s I have for full clean outs, and using standard disposable masks for daily under-roost scooping.

I didn't start wearing a mask for cleanouts until last year or maybe just before that. When I saw how filthy they got over time, it made me realize just how much particulate matter I'd been breathing in.

Of course since N95s are pretty much unavailable right now you have to make do with what you have. I'm saving the last 2 N95s I have for full clean outs, and using standard disposable masks for daily under-roost scooping.
N95s won’t work as well the 2nd time but they can be washed on gentle in a laundry bag like you would other delicate things. Washed N95s still work better than regular surgical masks.

I do mine roughly once a month. When I start getting a hint of ammonia. But I’ve recently only been doing the half they roost over and then mix the other half in with new shavings. Everything that comes out of the coop gets spread in the run and once a year I shovel everything from the run into a compost pile to sit for a year. It’s a two year process but what I end up with is a phenomenal aged compost for the garden.

can you please send me links to these things 😲
I made it after seeing one online somewhere. I used a tarp, and put in grommets. I screwed eye screws into the roost, even with the grommets in the tarp. It hooks up with carabiners. Home Depot has everything needed for $30-$40. I can pm you close up pics if the attachments, if you'd like?

I did a spring cleaning on monday/tuesday. The weather was amazing with 22-23C and 🔆.
379E4B87-3D7A-4267-84F3-3B173A725582.jpeg
I used diatomaceous earth underneath the cardboard and ‘painted’ the inside of all the roost / nesting area’s to keep the bloody bird mite away from laying eggs in all the cracks.

Back
Top Bottom