Votes: 58 2.1%
  • Skunk

Votes: 26 0.9%
  • Rats

Votes: 56 2.0%
  • Cats

Votes: 52 1.9%

• Total voters
Believe it, rooapalooza. I've lost more birds to raccoons than to all other predators combined. Mink would be a distant second, followed by foxes, rats, and hawks in that order.

As everything is relative, it depends on where you live as to what would be the worst predator! I live in central Illinois and have experienced loss from #1 Opposum, #2 raccoon, #3 weasel/ferret, #4 Hawks, and possibly a fox (never seen). I have since built a coop and run that has Fort Knox style security including wire over the top as well as buried in the ground.

I'm grateful I don't have to deal with anything larger than coyotes here in Ohio....

Had to patch the run roof wiring this afternoon--a raccoon got in (fortunately the coop itself was empty while I'm poisoning the rats), dug into the floor after the poison, ate it and died (I HATE poison because it's so non-specific, but the rats are pretty trap smart). This is probably the same raccoon that got at the pigeons through the aviary wire a couple of nights ago (they made the mistake of roosting next to the 1" wire) so I had to recover it with 1/2" hardware cloth. Grrr.

Starting new flock due to a raccoon raid. They found a seam in my hardware cloth and ripped the wire open. Lost 30 hens and a couple of roosters. Nothing but legs and feathers left. It’s spring so raccoons are out and hungry.

Back
Top Bottom