Votes: 58 2.1%
  • Skunk

Votes: 26 0.9%
  • Rats

Votes: 56 2.0%
  • Cats

Votes: 52 1.9%

• Total voters
I raise a lot of non-aggressive roosters.
Most complaints come from Op's who raise a mixed gender of day old chicks together as a flock (hence the term "human raised" ) They don't have an established flock of older chickens to integrate their chicks into when they feather out good (or choose not to) Many don't have a mature alpha rooster to keep young cockerels in line either. If you've managed to raise a lot of non aggressive roosters without the help of an established flock and a good rooster you've done better than most! Most people can't sorry!

Most complaints come from Op's who raise a mixed gender of day old chicks together as a flock (hence the term "human raised" ) They don't have an established flock of older chickens to integrate their chicks into when they feather out good (or choose not to) Many don't have a mature alpha rooster to keep young cockerels in line either. If you've managed to raise a lot of non aggressive roosters without the help of an established flock and a good rooster you've done better than most! Most people can't sorry!
If you're going the integration into a flock route iMO the hens are the ones that teach young cockerels the majority of manners. Adult roosters can also be detrimental to young pullets.
The problem with human raised cockerels that become aggressive is almost always because of how they're raised by humans not that they are
My birds are pets but I raise then as chickens not as my children.
Spoiled babied cockerels grow up to be a holes.

If you're going the integration into a flock route iMO the hens are the ones that teach young cockerels the majority of manners. Adult roosters can also be detrimental to young pullets.
The problem with human raised cockerels that become aggressive is almost always because of how they're raised by humans not that they are
My birds are pets but I raise then as chickens not as my children.
Spoiled babied cockerels grow up to be a holes.
Last month I lucked up and found a a 2 yr old rooster raised in a flock that needed a good home . He was barely tolerated by their Alpha rooster so they decided to give him away . He's a good boy!

My dog grabbed one of my chickens when they were about 2 months old and I got so mad at him and I kicked him, he’s a super nice dog normally so I was surprised. He hasn’t gone near them since and my head hen used to chase him before she was stolen

Back
Top Bottom