• Skunk

Votes: 26 0.9%
  • Rats

Votes: 56 2.0%
  • Cats

Votes: 52 1.9%

• Total voters
Pics
We're new to chickens, and our flock is only ten weeks old. They've been out in the coop for about three and a half weeks. It took that long for the local raccoons to try their paw at opening our coop.

Last night about one in the morning I heard a sudden sqwaking from the girls and stuck my head out the window right away and yelled GET OUT OF HERE! in the general direction of the coop. About two minutes later my partner was out there with the BB pistol making it known to one and all that there will be NO FREE LUNCH FOR RACCOONS. We didn't see the buggers, but we did hear them running off, and a neighbor dog three or four houses away suddenly yapping at the intruders in HIS yard. LOL.

i have kept dogs and they just love to take the hens that fly out, only which can hop place to place and come out even with 1 wing clipped. can u tell me any tips to stop the hen from coming out? i think so it will be any raptor, i am in danger for hens due to i have got wild owls in my home but luckily they are small.

and that is only 1 and that is good luck to my.... though i got many hens that perch on the grill sometimes, but are well trained and never come out side.
wee.gif
those hens are those that any thing came close and they fly inside, and that is why i never clip there wings. i added a new hen i clipped her wings but she also sits on the fence and never try flying out... and that is good
D.gif

Gray Fox

Coyote

Raccoons

Raccons are my number one killer. I lost my first 2 batches of white leghorns to raccoons, which ammounts to about 35 chickens roosters and hens. We also lost 11 guinea fowl during the same time. Only one survived what we have called the raccoon massacre which the family of raccoons all came in and killed all the other chickens. We did not know that it was raccons until we decided to put out a night camera. To keep them at bay, we surrounded the coop with chain link and chicken wire. We also put a clip on the gate, so the raccoons can't open it. Hawks are my number 2 killer. we have lost at least 3 chickens to them. One of our chickens named Silver was very dear to me, she was taken by a hawk and the only rememberence was a few feathers. Silver was a red laced blue amerucana and I have not found another like her.
hit.gif

Predators are what you get when you live in a forest.

Last edited:
Our newest predator - yup, that's our driveway it is leaving. No missing chickens, yet.
Oh crap!!! I hear they really like chicken too. Kill it and eat it before it does you! <<< That's always my solution. LOL Do any of you eat the racoons that you kill? They aren't any nastier than these chickens that we all raise. They are mighty tastey grilled or baked in the oven. Just don't let it dry out. It is dark meat and dang good! I know a lot of people that would love to get their hands on the racoons that you kill (to eat).

Back
Top Bottom