Votes: 58 2.1%
  • Skunk

Votes: 26 0.9%
  • Rats

Votes: 56 2.0%
  • Cats

Votes: 52 1.9%

• Total voters
I have lost more chickens to dogs but we have been having trouble with foxes and rats and also maybe hawk now.My chickens can't free range anymore cause of the problems.:mad:

I have to vote a combination, though haven't lost any of my girls as I have had Maremma LGDs for years. Patrol all night and sleep mostly in the day time near the barn.
They do suffer with the heat in N. Fl. and did holes to keep cool.

I have to vote a combination, though haven't lost any of my girls as I have had Maremma LGDs for years. Patrol all night and sleep mostly in the day time near the barn.
They do suffer with the heat in N. Fl. and did holes to keep cool.
I love the Livestock Guard Dogs! All types. I have Labradors which do a decent job. Nothing gets by them except maybe a chipmunk or two... (I think one of them would eat the chickens if he had a shot at it, but they are in a caged run
thumbsup.gif
).

They are great dogs. I'm going to
hit.gif
for months when she is gone.

I am trying to get a Great Pyrenees right now as a matter of fact. I have issues with hawks, owls, coyotes, stray dogs, feral cats, bobcats, cougars, and the occasional black bear. I'm tempted to just buy a trio of Great Pyrenees and never worry about my birds again
thumbsup.gif

neighbors dogs, neighbors, dogs!
Today my pups that I have alerted me to a neighbors dog. Them barking at it started to chase it off but about 10 min later seen it again out next to the coops. Grabbed the gun and went to make sure it wasn't doing anything, it was about 200 feet into my brothers property. Still chased it off of there. It had tags and wouldn't shoot a dog for coming onto the farm unless it tried to hurt the family or any of the animals. Then it is do what is needed for safe farm. My cats and dogs don't bother the animals nor should any of my neighbors dogs or it will be their loss

Just wanted to put my two cents in about black vultures: they absolutely can and will stalk and kill live, full grown chickens. I've lost more chickens to black vultures than anything else in the year we've now lived on our farm.

I was stumped about what killed the first few chickens I lost-- then I caught a black vulture in the act. It had one of my Marans hens pinned down and was ripping her neck feathers out. It flew off as soon as I went outside. (She survived, thankfully. I must've caught the vulture seconds after it caught her.)

Black vultures will stalk my free ranging flock even in the height of deer roadkill season. They're aggressive and persistent, and so far the only way I've found to effectively deal with them is a very loud shotgun and two smart, watchful roosters. (No, I don't kill black vultures, but sure do make as much noise as I can.) I've tried other stuff--fake owls, hanging CDs, etc-- and nothing else has worked.

So to those who say black vultures won't kill live prey: come on down to NC and I'll prove you wrong. ;)

Back
Top Bottom