Official BYC Poll - What Breed Characteristic Is Most Important?

What is your most important charachteristic when choosing a breed?

• Climate Hardiness

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Meat Production

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aesthetics / Looks / Showability

• Egg Production / Quantity

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Temperament / Personality

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Egg Color

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Heritage / Endangered

• Total voters
For me it is egg production, followed by temperament. I love Plymouth Rocks, they are the sweetest birds imaginable; but they are not good producers. On the other hand Leghorns are almost all excellent producers; but they are too flighty to keep in a backyard. So, I guess I prefer production first, as long as the bird has a reasonable temperament.

I choose temperament because I HATE flighty birds. I also go with banties because of the space issue. I don't eat my girls, but they'd better lay or my son's family will eat them. So far we had to put one BEAUTIFUL Sebright roo down because he wacked out when a fox got most of the flock. I now have a Ameraucana hen, two Sebright hens, a Brahma hen, a beautiful black and silver laced Polish hen, a Spanish clown face/cochin mix pullet, an old english game/polish mix cockeral (he's really cool looking, unfortunately he has to find a new home) and a beautiful, sweet cohin cockeral that's gotta find a new home:( My kids are my buds. I love watching their antics and personalities. I also take care of my grandson's 13 chickens. 11 hens/ chicks, and 2 roos. They're NOT pets. They're all business! Some of us use our birds for food, just not meat. Eggs are GREAT!

Quote:
Everyone kept telling me to get a dog. I live on a farm & thought a dog I've had dogs & love them. But I chose chickens I want somethings that's productive. Never raised them before but now that I have them I guess they're my pets. Now, I have the best of both worlds. Reality I could just feed them& not interact with them but their such a hoot to watch & figure out. Guess its your choice.

1) Temperament. I love my children. Any animal that attacks them dies.

2) Climate hardiness. New Mexico has hot summers, cold winters, high altitude, and 40 degree daily temperature swings.

3) Egg production. The reason for chickens. You can raise free-range meat with rabbits. Oh, wait. I have those too!
bun.gif

Quote:
In today's economy, it surprises me that people are still spending so much money on animals of any kind, not just chickens. But chickens seem the most unlikely of all, as they do have the potential to lighten the load in the way of providing a food source for a family.

When I read about how much people on here spend on coops, runs, feeds, predator proofing, vet care, etc. for chickens it tells me that the either the media is completely exaggerating the poor economy, or people are totally unaware that they could actually be saving money if they treat these chickens as a food source, as well as pets.

Deriving enjoyment from chickens can be as simple as keeping them as pets until its time to eat them~which is the economically sound thing to do. That so many people are not doing this can explain why so many on here complain about how much their first egg costs.

I agree with the above however think about the number of folks who raise chickens, grow vegetables, raise goats and other hoofed animals as a food source. Many of us like to be in charge of our own food source.

Also without doubt, the media and governments need to be questioned for accuracy always.

I choose personality and temperament but really egg production is the main reason that I raise chickens. I would not keep chickens if they are nasty and do not make eggs. Of course there is always and exception for a special bird. My birds have been a meat source but I find butchering to be physically difficult. If I ever raise a large amount of rooster again I may pay someone else to package them

Last edited:
For me it depends upon the breed. I have multiple breeds that I keep for multiple reasons.

My Seramas:

1. Temperment. It is the main importance to me for these birds. I use them as part of the 4-H around here and so they must be tame.
2. Body type and showability. Thought they are not yet a recognized breed in the U.S. I still aspire to having good bodies on my seramas. Being the world's smallest chicken breed by weight body type is an important trait with this breed. I also love the high tails and stout breast. Their bodies are part of what makes them so adorable.

My Sumatras:

1. Body Type and Showability. I raise Sumatras because they are Beautiful. They have the long flowing tails and big full breasts that are the reason that I fell in love with them. Without the full tails they are just another chicken. I also strive to keep at least one Blue. I chose them as my show breed because I love their beauty.
2. Temperment. Because they are my show breed I don't generally care to cuddle them, but I would preffer that they don't attack me either. i've found them to be flighty and spastic birds, so temperment wasn't my deciding factor.
3. Climate Hardiness. My birds are very hardy and tolerant to rain. I like that fact about them. Around here it will rain on my birds and then freeze during the night. They have to be tolerant to wet and cold conditions.

My Mixed Bantam Flock:

1. Temperment. These are all my extras and pets, so of course they are tame and cuddly. I love my chickens and kept these little crosses around for love and contentment. Most of them are accidental crosses from escapes and some are purebreds from other breeds or hens with no rooster to match. I also keep a few broody hens around. Some of them are the descendants of my very first hen Peepers, so of course i kept them.

I love all of my chickens and temperment is perhaps my main concern. I hate getting pecked and spurred by mean chickens.

I had to get serious into the Sumatras and Serams, though. I love winning shows and it is my dream to get a best in show some day. I love showing and I also love doing well. I also just love to have fun and enjoy my chickens.

Temperament simply because our daughter is still young and we don't want roosters to chase or attack her.

If it was just me and DH, probably climate hardiness

Back
Top Bottom