Official BYC Poll: What Do You Do With Broody Hens?

What do you do with broody hens?

• Leave them without eggs until they stop

Votes: 48 26.2%
  • Take them out every day

Votes: 59 32.2%
  • Break them

Votes: 64 35.0%
  • Give them eggs within the flock

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • Separate them and give them eggs

Votes: 47 25.7%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 24 13.1%

• Total voters
I love broody mamas and their babies! I keep them till they kick the O2 and they get to hatch babies whenever the heck they feel like it. All of my broodies are also the quirkiest and sweetest of my flock.
20210417134756_IMG_0692.JPG

I love broody mamas and their babies! I keep them till they kick the O2 and they get to hatch babies whenever the heck they feel like it. All of my broodies are also the quirkiest and sweetest of my flock.
View attachment 2904929
That is the sweetest picture!

Break means to break them out of the brood and that's usually done by putting the hen in a restricted area where she can't make herself a comfy nest that keeps her belly warm and toasty. I put mine in a large dog crate inside the covered run so she can see the other hens and they can see her and she has food and fresh water but with a hard floor so no nesting. It takes from a few days to a week depending on her determination.

It really depends on the chicken. I usually break them right away. But my Silkies do a good job of getting off the nest daily, eating, drinking, etc. And they are almost always broody. I'd end up spending all my free time breaking broodies. So I just let them brood. I check on them often, though, in case their health starts to deteriorate.

If I'm in the mood for adding chicks, I'll let a broody do the work for me.

Broodies get to set on 8-10 eggs. I had three setting on eggs within 2-3 days of each other this year. I thought it was going to be a battle..... but they all adopted each other's chicks. I had 18 chicks using one hen for a jungle gym while the host to half the horde was across the field at her favorite dust bath. 20 minutes later she came back and half the horde scrambled back under her.

Good times. 26 chicks all at once was a bit much though.

EDIT: Realized I didn't answer the poll. I keep them in the flock doing chicken things. Figure they have more experience being chickens than I do.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom