Official BYC Poll: What Do You Do With Broody Hens?

What do you do with broody hens?

• Leave them without eggs until they stop

Votes: 48 26.2%
  • Take them out every day

Votes: 59 32.2%
  • Break them

Votes: 64 35.0%
  • Give them eggs within the flock

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • Separate them and give them eggs

Votes: 47 25.7%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 24 13.1%

• Total voters
We have had 2 broody set ups. The broody hen has her own enclosed area within the flock. It consists of a smaller version of the chicken set up, an area for a nest, protected from the elements and a door leading out to the chicken yard (only used once the chicks are hatched and mom is ready to deal with the rest of the flock) and a door that leads to the broody and her chicks private yard. The private yard also allows the broody to get off the nest to go in "her" yard to poo, walk around, etc. without the battle that ensues if another hen sits in her nest when she is off it. It works really well for us. We are not allowed to have a rooster, so it also helps to make sure the hen is really broody and then we take a ride into the country to Cypress Duck Farm and buy marans eggs. That night we take the fake eggs and replace them with the eggs we want hatched.

If I have to break them, I use a few different methods depending on the situation. I typically take the eggs away and kick them off the nest several times a day. In more severe cases I use the broody box (pen or cage with open-wire bottom to get air under the hen).
Same methods I use. First I keep kicking her off the nest, taking the eggs away. If that doesn't work, she goes straight to the broody cage.

I have had a frequent broody Welsummer and a Maran x Cream legbar. As soon as they start, they go to jail for 3 days, which usually breaks them.

For me, it depends on many things. I usually let Broodies hatch replacement mix breed layers if it’s early enough in the season and I need more laying hens. I hatch my standard bred birds in the incubator and brood them safely inside until 4-5 weeks, then they join the flock.

For the most part, I need egg layers more then broody hens so the majority get locked up out of the nests to break them(and ruining my hatching eggs by sitting on them for a few hours before I collect at night). Only a couple get to sit and hatch them.

I look forward to having a broody hen 😻 I think my Golden Laced Wyandotte is going to be the one and I couldn’t be more excited. She took over the integration of our Pullets when they were 11 weeks old and being added to the free ranging flock. I thought for a long time we were going to just have 2 flocks! One lead by the 2 roosters and the laying Pullets and one led by our Wyandotte! However they have all integrated now and I feel in spring we’re going to be able to hatch out some babies with her. 😻 she will be kept with the flock to integrate her babies when she sees fit.

Back
Top Bottom