Official BYC Poll: What Do You Do With Your Aggressive Roosters?

What Do You Do With Your Aggressive Roosters?

• I discipline/train them as adults

Votes: 74 22.8%
  • I train/tame them from young

Votes: 97 29.8%
  • I re-home/give them away

Votes: 81 24.9%
  • They end up in my pot

Votes: 134 41.2%
  • I've never had an aggressive rooster

Votes: 38 11.7%
  • I don't have/keep any roosters

Votes: 42 12.9%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 31 9.5%

• Total voters
Sounds like my kind of sausage!

And I would have no objection to mixing it with some pork butt to add fat.

I admit, I've done the pork butt thing to bulk it out before. Works really well.

/edit to add this is also a preparation method that works well with previously frozen birds.

Aggressive roosters aren't tolerated by us. If I can't tame them, they go into the pot.

So far we only had 2 terribly aggressive cockerels, one silkie, & a New Hampshire. They wanted to kick our butts every time we went into the coop. The silkie attacked everyone, & everything, so their was no taming him.

I admit, I've done the pork butt thing to bulk it out before. Works really well.

After all, mixing lean meat and fatty meat is a traditional method of sausage making. There are a lot of recipes that originally called for pork and veal and a lot of venison sausages call for pork butt to lubricate the dryness.

After all, mixing lean meat and fatty meat is a traditional method of sausage making. There are a lot of recipes that originally called for pork and veal and a lot of venison sausages call for pork butt to lubricate the dryness.
My dad uses beef fat for Venison sausage, or burger.

Over the years I've approached the problem of roosters differently. And I can honestly say, at this point, that there is no sure way to train them. Some respond, some don't. I've kept a B.O.Q. (Batchelor Officer's Quarters) which actually works, but you need the space to do so. I've kept them, rehomed them, and eaten them, and even gave a few their freedom. Still, if you have a flock of more than 3 or 4 hens, and let them do any kind of free ranging, you need a good rooster. The only answer is, there is no one answer - different circumstances dictate different solutions. I'm fairly certain I have a Roo in my new flock, and while I hope he IS a he, I hope he is a good one, and not a feathered demonic nightmare.

Over the years I've approached the problem of roosters differently. And I can honestly say, at this point, that there is no sure way to train them. Some respond, some don't. I've kept a B.O.Q. (Batchelor Officer's Quarters) which actually works, but you need the space to do so. I've kept them, rehomed them, and eaten them, and even gave a few their freedom. Still, if you have a flock of more than 3 or 4 hens, and let them do any kind of free ranging, you need a good rooster. The only answer is, there is no one answer - different circumstances dictate different solutions. I'm fairly certain I have a Roo in my new flock, and while I hope he IS a he, I hope he is a good one, and not a feathered demonic nightmare.
Like my Demon?
20210405_094852.jpg
He's growing 5 spurs per leg.

He kicked me up my leg once, & hasn't done so since, cuz I held him like a football under my arm for about 30 seconds. He now avoids me, rather then attack me.
He killed my first Sumatra cockerel, which wasn't nice.

I have a 1-year-old old Rooster. He was aggressive when he was younger and still is. I showed him I'm the boss and he cuddles me and loves his attention now. I didn't give up on him.

Out of 3 roos, 1. Very nice, worst thing he ever did was peck my leg 2. Same as 1 but mean to humans when he was around unknown roos 3. He was mean! Pecked when touched and overmated the hens, we sold him, someone wanted him for his frizzle gene

All 3 were in together. I say if you want nice hens AND roos, mess with them as chicks. I understand if you have 10 chicks it is nearly impossible to hold them every day. If you cannot play with them while young, then get the crock pot ready.

Back
Top Bottom