Official BYC Poll: What Do You Do With Your Aggressive Roosters?

What Do You Do With Your Aggressive Roosters?

• I discipline/train them as adults

Votes: 74 22.8%
  • I train/tame them from young

Votes: 97 29.8%
  • I re-home/give them away

Votes: 81 24.9%
  • They end up in my pot

Votes: 134 41.2%
  • I've never had an aggressive rooster

Votes: 38 11.7%
  • I don't have/keep any roosters

Votes: 42 12.9%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 31 9.5%

• Total voters
Pics
First time chicken mom and I purchased 4 10 day old pullets 12 weeks ago, they had been sexed. This last week 3 of days them started crowing! Thankfully the Feed and Seed store took them back (I think they were Sunday lunch for the store owner and that is fine). I went to the other feed and seed store in town and purchased 3 9 week old pullets and so far everyone is getting along. Thankfully I have a large yard and they can free range🤗
Feed stores are wonderful! They take my roosters and rehome. If no one wants to buy, they don't go to waste.

I’ve had three roosters, all of which have been very well behaved. I spend more time bonding with and training my roosters as chicks than I do the hens, but I also research my breeds extensively for desirable personality traits. I raise only breeds that are friendly, docile, or are typically believed to make good pets. It’s not an elaborate system, but it’s one that has consistently worked for me. 🙂

My americuna is a year this spring, so can get pretty aggressive. At his worst he gets put into rooster jail. Which is pretty much my introduction/quarantine pen. He's been sentenced twice this spring. Once for 7 days (for attacking me) and once for 10 days (for attacking one of my ducks). When he extra "breed-y" I carry a storm window with me. He runs into it a few times then leaves me alone. I know it's just the raging-roo hormones for the moment, and that he'll be a good boy again once spring season passes. 🤞🤞

My aunt had a beautiful Australop rooster when I was younger...one of her husbands drunk friends gifted her the flock when they were pullets...he was sooo nice...nicer than the super trained hens....until the dude came to my aunt when he was drunk and went in the coop at like 1am to grab a hen (the hens screamed n freaked....so the rooster flogged him across the face.....he then snapped his neck....immediately... I still hate the dude till this day... I love roo’s and if I could have one, I wouldn’t mind him mean or nice....if he was aggressive, it wouldn’t be just towards me for no reason...he’s protecting his ladies ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

My aunt had a beautiful Australop rooster when I was younger...one of her husbands drunk friends gifted her the flock when they were pullets...he was sooo nice...nicer than the super trained hens....until the dude came to my aunt when he was drunk and went in the coop at like 1am to grab a hen (the hens screamed n freaked....so the rooster flogged him across the face.....he then snapped his neck....immediately... I still hate the dude till this day... I love roo’s and if I could have one, I wouldn’t mind him mean or nice....if he was aggressive, it wouldn’t be just towards me for no reason...he’s protecting his ladies ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
I believe there is a special place in hell for people that abuse animals. This guy belongs there, for all eternity.

Made the mistake of hand-raising a Lavender Orpington cockerel. Only one to hatch and I had no other baby chicks... about 8 years ago (I have TOO many baby chicks now :love ). Lesson learned. He ran at me to flog me when he saw me at a distance. As a 5-6 month old, he would challenge the other rooster and hens and me. I gave him away to someone who loved the color and his aggression disappeared. :idunno. Glad I was able to help...:)

I have two right now that have outworn their welcome. One I'll have to suffer through but the other is looking for his next gig. In a nice twist, my most aggressive rooster, Ferdinand (a tailed blue Araucana) is reliably tolerant of me in their pen. His brother, He-who-must-not-be-named, tries to flog me almost daily. Sadly, he is the one I will have to suffer through.

We have had many roosters over the 7 years of our chicken raising, and we have had only two that were majorly aggressive, both of which have passed. But the rest, some that have passed, and the six we have currently have all been angels! Well... our youngest cockerel, Bootsie, is having some mood swings, but I think it is just because he is still figuring out his male hormones!

I try and get my kids to smother them with love and affection as chicks so they’re used to the kids. I haven’t had one attack me yet but I’ve fronted my rooster up once and chased him, he ran away never did it again. You could also use a water pistol and squirt water at them OR I have used a fly swat before as a deterrent or on hens that are being mean to other hens.

otherwise if they’re that bad and not too old and rubbery they end up in the pot.

Back
Top Bottom