Official BYC Poll: What Do You Do With Your Aggressive Roosters?

What Do You Do With Your Aggressive Roosters?

• I discipline/train them as adults

Votes: 74 22.8%
  • I train/tame them from young

Votes: 97 29.8%
  • I re-home/give them away

Votes: 81 24.9%
  • They end up in my pot

Votes: 134 41.2%
  • I've never had an aggressive rooster

Votes: 38 11.7%
  • I don't have/keep any roosters

Votes: 42 12.9%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 31 9.5%

• Total voters
When it comes to me, agressive roosters don't get to stay. I can't have any roosters where I'm at currently to begin with.
I have young kids, that don't deserve to be beat up by a rooster.
So when we get our farm property, the kids will have an all-hen flock they can visit without worrying about roosters. I'll keep a breeding flock for my own birds. Even then, I will relentlessly cull for docile roosters. I know no breed is going to produce 100% docile roosters but I do believe aggression is at least partially genetically linked. I also believe it's linked to how the handler interacts with the bird.

The aggressive roosters/cockerels I’ve had were raised by me. I thought I did everything correctly, but couldn’t ‘train’ them to be nice. They were eaten or rehomed or sold.
The wonderful nice roosters I’ve had and have were raised by hens, in the flock. It seems the flock knows best.
This is just in my experience with my small flock, certainly not proof of anything But….

Male chickens (roosters) are naturally more aggressive than females, it's just the natural order of things. It is his job to defend his flock against threats from predators and other roosters that might be looking to mate with his hens. It's his responsibility to care for the flock and its needs and that includes mating with as many hens as possible to ensure the success of his flock. Roosters are wired to protect the hens.

While roosters are a beautiful (and loud) addition to every flock, fear of an aggressive rooster can make many people back down. So we have to ask: What Do You Do With Your Aggressive Roosters?

Place your vote above, and please elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other".

View attachment 2664942

Further Reading:

(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)
I have my first little flock. 2 retired girls, and one aggressive, very LARGE rooster. I am thankful that while aggressive, he's not with me. He has issues when I pick one girl up and cuddle with her (one is a real cuddle bug), and those spurs look pretty serious, but I tell him, OK hotrod, don't make me get "the chicken stick" 🤣. I never use it. Only for herding. He has already chased off: a coyote, and 2 would-be druggie thieves. Daaaang, he made THE ugliest noise the day he chased off the druggies 😳. I always keep an ear tuned, and I know when a noise isn't right, so that day, I ran!! I saw them leaving, lol!! And I saw where they tried to undo the fence. Idiots. Take a reeeallly good look at those spurs, freaks. Next time you get hungry, I suggest the church food pantry. He stays. I like him.

2 would-be druggie thieves. Daaaang, he made THE ugliest noise the day he chased off the druggies 😳. I always keep an ear tuned, and I know when a noise isn't right, so that day, I ran!! I saw them leaving, lol!! And I saw where they tried to undo the fence. Idiots. Take a reeeallly good look at those spurs, freaks. Next time you get hungry, I suggest the church food pantry. He stays. I like him.

That's a truly amazing story!

I had this sign, which unfortunately deteriorated in the weather over 2 years,
81YQXNPIA4L.jpg

There are metal versions that might hold up better. :D

I usually sell them. I had a polish rooster that turned aggressive so I didnt keep him. It is kind of weird though that my marans rooster used to jump at my hand when he was a baby, and walk sideways toward me as a teenager. I heard that you can hold an agressive rooster down for a minute and he will leave you alone. Well, one day when he was walking sideways at me I tried that. He is now about a year old fully mature, and doesn't act aggressive at all and is a very good boy. Im not sure if holding him down once had anything to do with it but im happy he is nice because he is a beautiful rooster.

I usually sell them. I had a polish rooster that turned aggressive so I didnt keep him. It is kind of weird though that my marans rooster used to jump at my hand when he was a baby, and walk sideways toward me as a teenager. I heard that you can hold an agressive rooster down for a minute and he will leave you alone. Well, one day when he was walking sideways at me I tried that. He is now about a year old fully mature, and doesn't act aggressive at all and is a very good boy. Im not sure if holding him down once had anything to do with it but im happy he is nice because he is a beautiful rooster.
It's not really a responsible thing to sell a human aggressive rooster

Back
Top Bottom